Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cannot access database

cannot access database

I am stuck.

I have gone through all the KB's and still can't figure this one out...

Windows Server 2008 R2 standard.

5 workstations running windows XP Pro.

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hotfix 1

The server and ACT 2011 installation were setup about 3 months ago as an update to an old server and we moved from Act 2007 to 2011 at that time.

The server is not used as a workstation, it just lives in a rack.

It does get updates from microsoft automatically installed.

Everything was working fine until I added 3 more network shares on the server and started mapping them on the workstations.

There are a total of 13 network shares on the server, but no changes were made to the one containing the .ADF and .PAD files.

I did re-map most of the shares to different drive letters on the workstations, but all have full read/write/execute permissions.

After doing three of the five workstations, one of the users reported that he cannot access ACT after re-starting his computer because it was running slow.

One of the workstations that I have not yet re-mapped the network drives on has been sucessfully connected to the ACT database the whole time.

This makes me think that I have a problem on the specific workstations, not on the server side.

I am afraid to re-start the workstation that is still able to access ACT for fear that we lose that one too.

That would bring business to a halt FAST!

I thought I was chasing some sort of issue with too many network connections with all the shares, but I don't have any errors stating that, or perhaps I just don't know where to look for such a problem.

Even after removing the extra network drives from the effected workstations, those workstations still cannot access the database.

How could simply adding 3 more network shares on the file server cause a problem?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: cannot access database

Hello RRausch,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What is the full error message the client machines receive?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Any more advice?

Still no luck on my side.

I don't believe it's anything on the server as some workstations connect properly.

Silver Super Contributor

That error is usually an ACT! version mismatch.  Make sure that all the workstations and the server are running exactly the same version of ACT!.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

All versions of ACT are the same and they were all working correctly before I mapped additional drives.

Unless the problem workstations somehow automatically updated themselves to new versions and the correctly functioning workstations did not update...

Does act automatically update?

Silver Super Contributor

ACT! doesn't automatically update but it does prompt users to see if they want to update and if they do it can cause that problem.  The other things that can cause the problem are if the port that ACT! communicates with SQL on is blocked or if the user doesn't have access to the shares.  I'm thinking that this one is probably a port issue if all the versions of ACT! are the same.  I would manually check the versions of the systems if I were you.  It's possible that there was an update to Antivirus/Firewall software and it is now blocking the port that ACT! needs to use to access the SQL server on the server machine.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

I'm not running any antivirus or firewall on my workstation.

What else could be closing a port?

I assume it's 1433, 1434 or 8112 according to this KB:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125/~/using-your-anti-virus%2Ffirewall-so...!

I did a system restore back two days before the problems occurred in case there was an automatic windows update that closed the port for some reason.

Still no dice.

My version number of act perfectly matches the version number on the functioning workstation.

I'm getting really really frustrated.

I know that once I figure out the problem, it will have been something really simple.

I just can't figure out the problem!

Silver Super Contributor

If you really aren't running antivirus or firewall software on your desktop then it could be a virus causing the problem.  You will probably need to call Sage ACT! customer support or an ACT! Certified Consultant to get it resolved.  You can get a list of ACCs in your area at www.act.com/acc

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

I installed Norton internet security 2012, got the latest definitions for it and it found 68 tracking cookies.

Nothing else...