Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cannot access database in server

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

cannot access database in server

[ Edited ]

Hi, I cannot access the database in the server. I know this problem has been posted so many times.

I already tried everything from the knowledge base article below:  

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

This is the scenario:

Before we had the server, I am using my computer as the host, and ACT! 2010 (Version 12.2.76.0) was working in 3 computers (including mine). We have three licenses. Recently we bought a server & wanted to move the database in the server. We installed ACT in the server to become the HOST using one of the license & we already mapped our computers to the server where the database is located. We can access the ACT folder, no problem about that, only when we open the PAD file, the error that the <database name> database could not be accessed......

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks Smiley Sad

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mel08
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: cannot access database in server

[ Edited ]

I finally fix the problem.  Smiley Happy

Following the instructions on the:

Firewall setup: Go through Document ID 19420  and check that the Windows firewall on the 'server' conforms with these settings.

Its from an old post.... Thanks Graeme!

Re: Unable to connect to server databse (08-02-2009 08:01 PM )

Some things to check:
Firewall setup: Go through Document ID 19420  and check that the Windows firewall on the 'server' conforms with these settings
Pad File:  Can you open the pad file that you access from the client that gives you the error message, and copy the contents here. Right click, Open with Notepad and Copy & Paste.

Network: Are you running IP addresses? Can you browse the Internet OK from all machines? Is there any network storage device installed on the LAN? Is the network wired or wireless?

Peer-to-peer setup: Presumably you have 3 Windows Users. Is each Windows user represented as users with passwords on all three machines?

Other SQL Applications: Was MS BCM ever installed on the 'server"?

Other Firewalls: Are there other software firewall products installed?

Anti-spware: Is there antispyware on the 'server'?

Graeme Leo
graeme@xactsoftware.co.nz
Xact Software Solutions
Auckland, New Zealand
International ACT! Certified Consultant and ACT! Custom Developments
* Xact Software - www.xactsoftware.co.nz - Linking ACT! with Quickbooks
* ACT! Workflow Solutions for QuickBooks and MYOB Accounting *
* WWW.FREEACTADDONS.COM - Useful Tools for ACT! at no cost - *

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Contributor

Delete the PAD file and open the ADF file from the server. This will create a new PAD file pointing to your server. Assuming you have followed the Firewall settings in the KB you should be fine
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand

[ Edited ]

I did what you said, but then I got an error -> ADF Files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used.

I would like to clear that running ACT in the server, it can access the PAD file ok. Only when the other two computers wants to connect to the database on the server it gets an error message.

We tried using a Remote Database & Run Synchronization from one of the computer & it works fine.

Solution
Accepted by topic author mel08
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

I finally fix the problem.  Smiley Happy

Following the instructions on the:

Firewall setup: Go through Document ID 19420  and check that the Windows firewall on the 'server' conforms with these settings.

Its from an old post.... Thanks Graeme!

Re: Unable to connect to server databse (08-02-2009 08:01 PM )

Some things to check:
Firewall setup: Go through Document ID 19420  and check that the Windows firewall on the 'server' conforms with these settings
Pad File:  Can you open the pad file that you access from the client that gives you the error message, and copy the contents here. Right click, Open with Notepad and Copy & Paste.

Network: Are you running IP addresses? Can you browse the Internet OK from all machines? Is there any network storage device installed on the LAN? Is the network wired or wireless?

Peer-to-peer setup: Presumably you have 3 Windows Users. Is each Windows user represented as users with passwords on all three machines?

Other SQL Applications: Was MS BCM ever installed on the 'server"?

Other Firewalls: Are there other software firewall products installed?

Anti-spware: Is there antispyware on the 'server'?

Graeme Leo
graeme@xactsoftware.co.nz
Xact Software Solutions
Auckland, New Zealand
International ACT! Certified Consultant and ACT! Custom Developments
* Xact Software - www.xactsoftware.co.nz - Linking ACT! with Quickbooks
* ACT! Workflow Solutions for QuickBooks and MYOB Accounting *
* WWW.FREEACTADDONS.COM - Useful Tools for ACT! at no cost - *