Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cannot access database in ACT 2011

cannot access database in ACT 2011

Suddenly getting error "Cannot access database" Act 2011 has been working, changed nothing; but, now cannot open database. I've had this problem for a while; but, if I restarted the computer the database opened. Now that doen't work.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: cannot access database in ACT 2011

Hello lmargolis,
This may be due to the SQL Server service not starting properly. See this Knowledgebase article for instructions to start the service:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

If this does not resolve, then see this KB article for additional solutions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I tried following your instructions; but, when I right clicked on SQL Server (ACT7)  "Windows could not start SQL Server (ACT7) on Local Computer." I got error code 3414.

Then I tried right clicking on SQL Server Agent (ACT7) and got error code 1068.

I tried putting both error codes into the search window but got nothing.

If I re-install the program will it overwrite my databases?

Thanks, Larry

Can I reinstall ACT without overwrighting my databases? Prior instructions did not work.

Thnaks, Larry

Platinum Super Contributor

Larry,
Reinstalling Sage ACT! will not write over your database, but I recommend that you manually copy the database files to a 'safe' location, as a backup.

Your issue is with the Microsoft SQL Server installation - reinstalling the Sage ACT! software itself will not affect the SQL installation. You will also want to uninstall/reinstall Microsoft SQL Server.

Since this was working previously, before uninstalling you will want to look for other environmental factors such as space available on the C: drive, UAC enabled, anti-virus software blocking, compress 'Program Files' folder (files and folders will be blue).
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg, I did not know that reinstalling the Sage ACT! software would't affect the SQL installation, I thought that the SQL was part of ACT. When restarting the computer I recently started get the following message:

"ACT! Outlook Synchronization Application is not running. Please run ACT! Outlook Synchronization Application from Windows Startup menu." I do not have Outlook installed in this computer and did not find it listed in the Startup menu.

As I wrote earlier when I try to start the SQL Server I get error message # 3414, when I try to open the SQL Server Agent I get error # 1068. I tryed looking both errors up on Google; but, answer.

I appreciate your help. Thnaks, Larry Margolis

PS: I know a Greg Martin that is a member of the SGI, is that you?

Platinum Super Contributor

At this point, the main issue is the SQL error - you'll want to concentrate on it (resolving it will probably resolve the Outlook sync message).

Sage ACT! installs an 'instance' within SQL.  If SQL is not found installed on the computer, Sage ACT! will install it.  Because the uninstall cannot tell if other programs are also using SQL, it is not removed with the uninstall of Sage ACT! (prevent breaking other programs).  

If no other programs are using SQL, the steps I would recommend are:
- uninstall Sage ACT!
- uninstall all components of SQL
- reboot computer

- install Microsoft SQL/ACT7 instance manually using article: KB Article 26994

- test SQL Server (ACT7) service to ensure it will start

- install Sage ACT!

- open database

Greg Martin
Sage