Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't open wpa files

Copper Contributor

can't open wpa files

I have had this problem for months now. I click on a Act Word Document (.wpa file) and it won't open. I have been on the phone for hours with tech support (issue #9966385). I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the application but the problem still persists. The only way I can open these file is to actually open the act word processor and do a file/open. The file links in history/notes/documents do not work at all. I've checked the file associations which are ok. Can someone please help? I'm using ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.1.199 Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: can't open wpa files

What actually happen when you dbl-click on a wpa file from Windows Explorer if from inside ACT!?

What error messages?

I have this problem as well. Absolutely nothing happens when I click on the link, but I get an error message when I quit ACT every time. The Helpdesk have run out of ideas on this one. We have a 2 user license and the software works fine on PC2.

Have you tried clicking from inside ACT! and from Windows Explorer (while ACT! still open in background)?

Are you also running 10.0.1 (check in Help | About)?
Copper Contributor

I have tried clicking on the file and link inside ACT and as I've said, absolutely nothing happens. Yes I'm using 10.0.1 as indicated in my initial post. Clicking on the .wpa file using Explorer does exactly the same thing - nothing.

Have you tried this fix from the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/yv629u

If not, what version of ACT! (full build from Help | About)?
Copper Contributor

I've tried doing the fix, but when it says "Click the File menu and then new". Where is this. Not in Act and not in Windows explorer. When I open explorer and click file new, no Act Wp document is present. What do I do now that I've deleted the .wpa file association?

Copper Contributor

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. Hope it continues though.
Copper Contributor

Sorry to say, but the fix didn't stay long. After I closed and re-opened ACT we're back to the way it was. Clicking won't open any of the .wpa files. Any other suggestions?