Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't open shared database

can't open shared database

We have 2 Windows XP machines running ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 on the same local network and part of the same workgroup.  The host PC can open the shared database without issue; however the remote PC gets the error message “The SQL Database instance is unavailable.”  This isn't a synchronization issue but rather a case where the remote machine needs to access the shared database on the host.  The remote PC is otherwise able to access files on the host PC.

I've gone through the KB and tried everything I can find with no success.  About the only thing I haven't done is uninstall / reinstall the ACT7 instance.  Before I try that is there any thing else I should try?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve Harris

Silver Super Contributor

Re: can't open shared database

Try implementing the suggestions for the changing the firewall settings in KB article19420.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

One of the things I tried was turning off the Windows Firewall and the anti-virus software which didn't resolve the problem.  Given that I don't think setting up firewall exceptions will do the trick.  Appreciate the idea, though.

Silver Super Contributor

Turning off firewalls doesn't necessarily really turn them off.  On the other hand you may be right that turning it off would allow you to access the database if that was the issue.  I would still put the options in though because once you get it working you're going to want to turn the firewall on.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!