Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't open my database

can't open my database

I am using Act 2009.  How can I get into my database.  I have the program running on a single laptop.  It is a Dell Studio 64 bit system runing Windows 7.  I have been using Act successfully for months.

Tried to open my database a little bit ago and get the following message

---------------------------
Error
The database Leah2009 could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.
OK   Help  

Re: can't open my database

Just tried to creat a test database and get the following error.

--------------------------
ACT!
Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server.
OK  

I am not super computer literate, but am trying to think my way through this.  Windows did an automatic update and put a bunch of new updates on the computer.  I remember once a windows update disabled my virus protection years ago and blocked me from the internet.

Any thoughts?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello USBB,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. The error messages you posted would indicate that the Microsoft SQL Server instance for ACT! is not running. Follow these steps to check the status of this service:

- From your Start menu, type services.msc in the Search box

- In the list of services, find SQL Server (ACT7)...make sure this service is started. If it already is, then try a restart

If this does not resolve the issue, then please see a list of other possible causes and suggested solutions for this error in the following Knowledgebase article:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network co...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.