Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't open ACT! 2010 database, get operating system errror 21

can't open ACT! 2010 database, get operating system errror 21

When I tried to open my database recently, I was asked to enter a password.  I don't use passwords and have never been asked to provide one.  I tried a password and got the following error message.  I have no idea what to do with the information provided. I'd really appreciate any help.

A couple of notes: 

- I'm using ACT! 2010 on Windows 7

- I recently ran database maintenance on this database

- Another database I frequently use (on the same computer) opens normally.

- I do have a backup of the problem database but I've made alot of changes since then, so I hope to fix this problem.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: can't open ACT! 2010 database, get operating system errror 21

Hello Jmcarignan,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The outlook for this database doesn't look good, because this error can be associated with a bad disk sector, but here is something to try:

- Stop the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service.  This article will explain how to access the service, select 'Stop' instead of 'Start': KB Article 28216

- Browse to the folder containing the database

- 'Copy' the following database files: ADF, ALF, '*-database files' folder and paste them into a different folder (ex: C:\ACT Database)

- Rename the new files (ex: add 'New' to the beginning of the names), being sure that all 3 pieces are named the same.

- Start the 'SQL Server (ACT7) service

- Launch ACT! > cancel sign on into existing database

- Select File > Open Database

- Change 'Files of Type' to ADF > browse to location of new database > select database ADF and open

If the database will not open, your next step would be restoring the backup.  Use the 'Restore As' option to create a new database (new name) to ensure it does not attempt to overwrite the same disk sector.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

You miracle worker!!!, what you suggested worked!! I'm thrilled!  I would have lost quite a bit of time and work without your help. Thank you ever so much! 

Julie

Hey Julie,
Thank you for posting your results. That's awesome that you were able to open your database and not have to use the backup; I'm very happy to hear that!

As a follow up to this issue, I'll be creating a knowledgebase article - just in case someone else experiences this.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

I'm sorry to say I guess I was too quick with my joy. 

Today when I tried to open the newly created database, the one that was working fine yesterday, I got the exact same error message as above, with the Error 21.

Luckily I had backed up the new file after I made more changes last night.  I restored the backup and it opened fine.

But I'm questioning if it will open tomorrow or if the same thing will happen yet again.

Note I did a hard drive scan and found no bad blocks or any issues with the drive.

Is there anything I can do to ensure the integrity of this file that's working for the moment, while it's opening, to try to prevent this from happening again?  

I'm really nervous about it now.  This file contains a great deal of valuable info. 

Very glad to hear that you created the backup!  Certainly you will want to keep creating backups daily as a precaution.  Be sure to add the date (possibly time) to the backup file name, to make it easier to identify which one to restore and to keep multiple versions.

That is odd about the error returning, appears to indicate a database corruption issue. 

To try and repair the database, after creating a backup:

1. Go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.  Leave both boxes checked.  

You can wait to see if the error returns or continue on with the next step:

2. Use instructions in the following article to run maintenance through ActDiag: KB Article 26854

As an alternate option, create a backup - then restore it using the 'Restore As' option.  This will provide the opportunity to enter a new database name and will not overwrite the existing database. 

Unfortunately, the only real test for these steps is time... wait until it either happens or does not happen again.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

I did as you suggested, i.e., I ran the Tools>Maintenance>check and repair from within the problematic database. 

Then I tried to run maintenance through the ACTDIAG as you further suggested.

However, when I did that, I got the following information: 

: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The operating system returned error 21(The device is not ready.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x00000000166000 in file 'I:\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\Databases\ArtPers12.ADF'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable)
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.ع()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.BindDataGrid()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection..ctor(SqlConnection ConnSAConnection)
   at ActDiag.ServerInfo.get_Databases()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.get_ԛ()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.ח(Object Ԉ, EventArgs ԉ)
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.֒(Object Ԉ, EventArgs ԉ)

Please note that the file noted at the beginning of that error message is not the one I've been having problems with; it's a different database. Now when I try to open that database (which I haven't had any trouble opening before), it now exhibits the same problem and won't open (it asks for a password, which I've never assigned to it).

So now I get the feeling that this problem isn't related to just an individual database, but something about my installation. 

Can you make any suggestions about how to fix this problem?

Might it help to update the program?  I received notice that there's a new update available, but I hadn't been able to update to it until I just learned from this forum how to run ACT! as the administrator.  Would that be something worth trying?  Or might it help to upgrade to the newer version, ACT! 2012?  Is the newer version more stable?

Or might it help to reinstall ACT!? 

I'll really appreciate any help!  It would be a very serious setback to my job search to not have access to my databases!

Thank you!

Julie

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Julie,
If your database is local on your machine, try moving it to another location on your computer. I would advise creating a new folder (you can call it ACT! Databases) directly on your C: drive. Follow the steps in this KB article to physically move the database files:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2339...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.