Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't import!

can't import!

I have been using ACT for many years and have imported and exported many a file in my time.
I have one particular file and no matter what I do I can't get the date to import. csv or text. comma or tab.
I have divided and subdivided and subdivided - and always with the message "cannot import group".
Or sometimes I don't even get a message - the bar goes through, and then nothing.
But nothing has imported.
The one time I was able to import data I tried with the company name only. That worked, but not exactly what I wanted! Smiley Happy
I'm using ACT 2006.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I've spent hours trying to get this information into my database.

Thanks much!!

Re: can't import!

romagal8,

What are you trying to import (Contacts, Groups, Companies)?  Are you able to import other CSV files?  If its specific to this file, it has to be formatting issues.  If you don't mind, you can send it to me and I'll take a look at the formatting. 

I've sent my email address via private message (yellow envelope towards upper right).

I'm having the same problem, I have been working with act for many years, importing .csv files and exporting many times but somehow when I click finish in the Import Wizard window, the overall progress bar will appear empty and will not add a single contact. Do you have any suqqestions? 

fal0058 

dlunceford wrote:

romagal8,

What are you trying to import (Contacts, Groups, Companies)?  Are you able to import other CSV files?  If its specific to this file, it has to be formatting issues.  If you don't mind, you can send it to me and I'll take a look at the formatting. 

I've sent my email address via private message (yellow envelope towards upper right).

fal0058

I am having a problem with importing as well.  I have been importing the same file and mapping it the same for ages.  however, today when I went to import the file, the bar came up and it looked like the import worked.  However, when I go to lookup my new contacts they are not showing.  I have looked at the formatting of the file in notepad and it doesn't look like there are any formatting errors.  Any ideas?

Also, I had already imported once this morning from a different file, and it worked fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

nicklon,

Since you can import from another file, we know its not an issue with the database or program.  What you can try is cutting the file in smaller batches to do the import.  This can help narrow down if there is any formatting issues.