Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't add a contact

can't add a contact

Whenever I try to add a new contact by pressing the icon, ACT freezes up for a second then it looks like it added a blank contact in the contact list. You can't open the contact up but it adds it to the total in the database. The contact screen never opens. I was having another problem where the template I was using was giving me a parameter is null message that was fixed by not allowing duplicate checking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thx
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: can't add a contact

What version and build of ACT! from Help | About?
Are you on a LAN? If so, does this happen for all users?

I'm on v10. Act is just on my laptop. I use a template from Loantoolbox.com that syncs to my mortgage software. It was working fine then it was giving me a Critera name error, Parameter cannot be null message everytime I would try to enter a new contact in that would prevent me from entering a contact. I was directed to turn off duplicate checking. That worked for a couple of days but now when I try to open up a new contact, nothing pops up. Just a line where the contact should be in the list view. If I enter a name in my mortgage software first, I can then sync it to ACT and the new contact popups then. Thx Ken

Does the software you're using send it's data directly to ACT! (ie you don't need to export and import)?

It sounds like it might be interfering somehow. Have you spoken to them?

I don't think it's the sync software. The program automatically transfers the data. I talked to them on the first issue I was having and they said they haven't heard of that problem with the software. My guess is that it originally stemmed from the template (they weren't that helpful)

Maybe try uninstalling their software and see what happens?
Also try with the demo database?

I have uninstalled and installed and had the same problem. The demo works fine

Does the other software connect with the current database... ie would it have been touching the demo?

Can you change to the default Layout in your main database and see if it's a layout issue?

Don't know how it happened but for the first time in 3 weeks, it's back to normal. Go figure