Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't Sync with outlook

Copper Contributor

can't Sync with outlook

I recently upgrade to ACT Pro16 and also set up a Remote DB that I sync with another PC. Using Win7 and Outlook 2010.

I tried to sync and it failed. From Event Viewer i get:

Error during synchronization.
Unable to connect to Outlook.

Please close Outlook and try to synchronize Act! with Outlook again.

at Act.Outlook.Integration.OutlookFactory.CreateOutlookApp(Int32 numberOfTimes, Boolean showUnableToConnectMessage)
   at Act.Outlook.Integration.OutlookFactory.BeginTransaction(Int32 numberOfTimes, Boolean showUnableToConnectMessage)
   at Act.Outlook.Sync.Common.Scheduler.SynchronizeContacts()

I checked and it looked lke ACT Outlook sync was not set up so i setit up again but still not working. I'm not sure if this is due to the upgrade or the remote DB? The remote computer is not logged in to ACt at the moment either. Any suggestions?

Copper Contributor

Re: can't Sync with outlook

In addition, ACT was syncing fine and Mail Merge was working fine prior to this. After upgrading to V16 Mail Merge was working fine but not 100% sure about the Contacts sync. But this is the first attemtp to Sync or do Mail Merge after creating the Remote DB

Copper Contributor

Error message I have been receiveing:

"Unable to Conndect to Outlook. Please close Outlook and try to Syncrhonize with ACT again"

I tried that and no change

Copper Contributor

So now I tried rebooting and when i Sync Outlook Contacts, the window pops up stating "Loading ACT Integration, please wait" , and that's it. There is no error message, and no Outlook message box opens and no sign of any sync taking place. Uusally it takes more than a few seconds and will give a message when complete. None of that is happening, any ideas?

Copper Contributor

Now the error i get when i try to sync with outlook is

"Unable to log on to ACT databse. Do you want to set up Outlook address book?"

If i hit Yes it doesn't do anything. If I hit No it says "Unable to lo on to ACT database."

This is all on the host machine as Admin. I did not have a password set up for Admin and it didn't work and then i tried adding a password and same thing.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

So i have been troubleshooting this for over 3 hour snow.

At one point i got the error "nNotes.dll cannot be found"...I repaired Office and have not seen that error since.

I also had an error that an ACT Outlook Add-in is missing. When looking at Outlook there was one Act Add-in that was disabed so I enabled it but it did not help.

In some instances the ACT Integration Service error was saying to close Outlook and try to Sync. This has worked for me but I'm not sure why. It syncs when Outlook is closed.

I am still not able to Sync when Outlook is open and not able to do a Mail Merge which is what started this whole process. 

The error when trying to Sync is "Unable to connect to Outlook" and it comes right away. 

When trying to do a Mail merge, it takes a longer time and gets stuck at email #1 with error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Then it repeats this for each email it is trying to send.

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to recall what changes I made that could have caused this, specifically the sync with outlook when Outlook is open and inability to do mail merges. I did just install an iPad Ai several days ago and it syncs with Outlook. I noticed in Outlook I lost all my auto-complete names when sending new messages so I know it did something to my Outook when I installed the tablet.  I don't think it has to do with the Remote user and DB as it should not have any access to Outlook.

If anyone has any suggestions short of re-installing ACT on the host machine I would be very grateful.

Copper Contributor

bump

Topaz99,

Hey, so firstly let me apologize for not seeing this thread sooner.  The bumped threads get pushed to the top, which is not where I look for threads that I can comment on.  I usually give it some time before responding so our other members can weigh in on similar issues before I tackle them together.  Bumping just hid it from me for a bit longer.

So when you installed v16 and got these errors, did you run a repair on Outlook?  Sometimes the repair can strip items out of the installation that we would have to reinstall, but that's rare.  Here's what I would like to know from you on this:

Can you see the Act! Address Book?  If you do see it, please remove it and re-add the address book as per this KB: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13529/kw/act%20address%20book

I mainly want to see if you get any errors during this process.

Once the address book has been readded, open Act!, go into preferences, and change your sync preferences.  At the top of the sync preferences window you should see your database.  Click Change, and find your database again.  Double check your username/password and try it again.

Also, one of the biggest things that can cause errors is if UAC is blocking communication between the new version of Act!  Click Start, type in UAC, and click on "Change user account control settings".  Make sure the bar is all the way to the bottom.  Click OK, and reboot.  Once you've done this, please let me know how things run, and I will try to answer you quickly.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

So far I was able to get it consistently work again by turning off UAC completely. However, it was working just fine for 2+ years without any other changes and UAC set at the default level (2nd bar from the top). Email and Mail Merge work fine on the remote DB PC (not going to use Sync on that PC).

As you can see I have been getting numerous different eror messages and inconsistent results so I will try the other suggestions and let you know if they work.  Some other things I tried with no success:

I tried to repair Office 2010 twice andre-booted

I checked the registry and it has 9.4 for Office which is 2010 and I have always had 2010 installed, never an earlier or newer version

I tried disabling Norton Anti-Virus

I tried disabling all Outlook add-ins and just enabling the Act add-in

I don't have a password for the Admin user but i tried adding one and syncing with it

I tried deleting Word normaldot template

I checked to make sure several services are runnning and they are (refers to a knoweldgebase article)

I searched the forums and a few more potential solutions but some of them are linked back to the ACT knowledge base which are dead links. Is there any way to update those links?

Any idea what may have be causing this? As I said, I upgraded to v16 and set up a remote DB and did not have any problems with mail merge or syncing. I think the only other change after that was installing an ipad Air which syncs with Outlook too.