Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

best way to setup ACT 2009, windows 7

best way to setup ACT 2009, windows 7

so my client has upgraded from act 2000, to act 6.0 in windows 7, 2000 was actually more stable..

anyways he made the leap and bought 2009 off amazon

problem is he also bought a yahoo mail plus account for outlook, but outlook is very slow and buggy.. outlook 2007, works but i can't use it as the editor, act editor only

but its very slow!

same with 2003..

will the 2010 outlook be any better? if i apply it with the aftermarket r1 patch? (he has almost 60,000 emails)

is it better to use pop3 or imap4? problem is he has multiple computers, same email account, so i think IMAP is the only way to go (no exchange server btw) 

what would be the best email client?

windows 7 64bit? 32bit? 64-bit tends to have more problems with ACT!

also the main problem is the network share won't work.. he used to run an old file server with file sharing for his act 2000, and act 2004 databases, but now i know you have to install act 2009 (11) onto the server and share the file.. the other computers could not connect to the database.. is there no way i can just have act 2009 db files in the file server shared? without running act so i don't use resources?

thanks so much.. i know its a heavy post.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: best way to setup ACT 2009, windows 7

Hello Gabzor,
I'll try and answer your questions individually:

Outlook/Email:
For ACT! 2009, you would need Outlook 2003 or 2007. Outlook 2010 is not supported with ACT! 2009 (you would need ACT! 2011 or higher). You can use a 32-bit operating system, but you must use the 32-bit version of Outlook to integrate with ACT! (ACT! will not integrate with 64-bit Outlook). Both ACT! and Outlook 32-bit will install and work fine on a 64-bit operating system. Also, you would need to use POP3 account - ACT! cannot work with IMAP. Your best bet would be to use ACT! 2012 or 2013, with Outlook 2010 (32-bit). Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) would be an ideal O/S.

Database Sharing:
Since ACT! 2005, we have been using SQL Server as the database manager, so it is required that ACT! and SQL be installed (full install) on the machine hosting the database. If you have done this and the client machines are unable to access the database through the network, then see this Knowledgebase article for suggested solutions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

what would be the best way of me sharing an POP3 email account without exchange server, without the emails getting corrupted?

and so ACT! has to be running at all times on the server computer now right?

I really can't answer the first question, but ACT! integrates with the users local installation of Outlook and whatever mail account they have setup in Outlook. And, no, ACT! does not have to be open, but the host machine does have to be on so the client machines can access it.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

so first i need to install it on the server, than enable "database sharing" and that should be it correct?

Yes, then ensure that the database directory is fully shared over the network so the client machines can access it.

Greig Hollister