Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

backup and restore

backup and restore

I have one license of ACT! 10 that I had installed on 2 different laptops - only using 1 at a time. This installation is legit, assisted by Sage tech guys. One machine was company-owned, one personal. The database running on both had the same name, and I never sync'd them, so one is much newer than the other. Time to give the company machine back so I backed up the database to an external hard drive, then tried using 'restore as' on the personal machine to take that zip file and rename. It said it restored successfully but won't open the file. It gives me "To finalize the registration, the database administrator must login first." I am the administrator on the ACT! app and my Vista machine, and I am logged in. The documentation isn't helping me and Sage is going to charge me many dollars to unlock it. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: backup and restore

1.  Is ACT! registered on the personal computer?

2.  Have you tried running ACT! as an administrator (right click ACT! icon > Run as Administrator)?

3.  Is there only one user created in the database?

1 - yes, it is registered.

2 - didn't think I had tried running as administrator, but when doing so I still get the error asking the administrator to login

3 - yes, I'm the only user

Thanx Bill -

I was able to import the contacts - which was really what I was trying to achieve all along - so I'm all set.

I appreciate your offer though.

Copper Contributor

What was the solution to this problem? I am having exactly the same thing happen, and I need to import or export data from a more complete database to my current one.

I used the "import" command which will merge (with a few duplications) 2 different data bases with the same name. There are filters and parameters you can set before you initiate the import operation. These are intended to avoid dupes. Most of it worked fine. The restore scheme never worked properly - I think it's primarily for backing up a data base then reviving it.

Good luck!

Another flavor of the same problem. As mentioned below, I was able to successfully import my data into the original computer and update the data base successfully. I now have yet another new computer (one was a company machine, then I changed jobs and want to mount it on a new company machine) and am now having a different issue trying to resolve the same problem. When I try to open the data base file that I transferred to the new computer I get the following "The database <name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is availaible. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server." It still gives me this when I turn the firewall off.

What's weird about this though is that I have imported all the data to a local drive so there is no server or firewall involved.

When I try importing the old data into a newly named file I get a simple ""Error in the application."

This is extremely frustrating. Anybody have any ideas?

Copper Contributor

I had a similar problem and learned you can NOT just "copy" the database files from one machine to another.

The SQL stuff is bound to the machine name, so you should do

a backup incl. Attachments on the old machine

and a restore "with a new name" on the new PC.

This will behave as if the database was created with the SQL machine/user settings on the new PC...

Another strange behavior found is that "ghosting" aka image-transfer a PC with installed ACT will also give hickups.

The SQL group accounts and many registry settings will retain the old machine name, even if the machine is renamed after the image transfer.

the utility NEWSID (useful to rename / renumber a image copy) will not rename the SQL parameters (maybe there will a very

fresh NEWSID later that will recognize an installed SQL 2005). As quick-&-dirty repair we asked our ACC programmer to write

a small script that does a global replace in the registry keys old-machine-name -> new-machine-name (which worked in our case

as all new machines were generated from one image - where we actually knew the old-machine-name). Nothing for the faint-hearted...

Hope that helps. 

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux