Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

back up question

back up question

I'm using Act 2007 9 and I'm using a usb flash for my back up.  I notice when ever I go to do a back up to the F drive where the flash is located it always says that the file already exists and do I want to replace it.  I keep saying yes to replace it thinking that I'm updating the file with any new information I've put in my Act database.  I'm very "uncomputer" so my question is by doing it this way am I in fact updating my back up each time I replace the existing file.

Thanks 

Re: back up question

I'm not at my wife's laptop (I set up Act for her Real Estate business).  but it sounds like to me you are overwriting the last backup you did.  I'm not sure if ACT uses a default backup name for every backup it does.  My gut is it does.  Named basically after the name of the database.  This should be easy to confirm if you look on your F: drive and see that 1) there's only one file there and you have done more than one backup,  2) the date of the backup is the same as the date you did the last backup.

Act does not do incremental back-ups in the sense that it just updates the backup file with the changes you made.  It creates an entirely new compressed backup file everytime you run it.  Now this is not necessarily bad, it just depends on what type of a backup scheme you want.  For many folks as long as they have one backup that is fine.  For others they might find that having backups that allow them to go back a few days or weeks is needed.  you might for example find you have had a problem go unnoticed for a week but you just backed up your database and wiped out the only good copy with the same problem.  In that case you would want to drop back to an even earlier version.  My recommendation is you keep a few backups by changing the default name of the backup to include the date you back up the database.  For example:  ACTBACKUP_07172008 and then next weeks backup would be ACTBACKUP_07242008  and so on.  You could keep as many or as few of the backups as you determine you need.  That's a highly individual choice based on circumstances.  Hope this helps.