Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

attaching email

attaching email

1.  In the email preference set up, I have selected "from and To contact" for "Select what contacts get attached to the history".

Seems only the message "sent to" the contact gets recorded.  The messaage "sent from" the contact DID NOT get recorded.  Not sure whether I misunderstand the function.  Could you please clarify? 

2. Because the message sent from the contact is not recorded, so I manually attach the message to the contact.  I am disappointed that the body of the message was not shown on the right hand side of the column.  I will need to click the item and then open the email to see the body.  Just wonder whether I have done it properly.

Thank you very much in advance. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: attaching email

1. By default, only emails 'sent' from you will be recorded.  The 'From and To', refers to the contacts within an email being attached, not the action of sending or receiving.  You can set up a rule in Outlook to automatically attach your received emails; here is an article with instructions: KB Article 23020

2. For this, you will have to decide which is more important: having chosen the recording option 'E-mail subject, message and all attachments', the email will appear as an attachment.  If the option is 'E-mail subject and message', the text will appear in the details and show in the preview.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you very much for the reply.

1. I still don't understand about "From and To".  If the email recorded is always "sent" from me, then where does "from" contact come from?

2. I just checked my email set up.  the option "email subject and message" is chosen.  The body of the message still not shown.  Any suggestions?

Platinum Super Contributor

1. You are the 'From'.  This will save a copy of the email in both your record ('From') and the contact's record ('To').  Assuming you are using Outlook , the From email address is defined within your Outlook profile.

2. Be sure to check both screen 5 and 6 of the email setup; they both contain an option for how to record emails.  The image you included of screen 6 shows that attachments are included.  Any emails attached before making a change will not be affected, they will remain in their original state.

Greg Martin
Sage

1. The body of an email message attachment is shown now.  Thank you very much.

One more question:

2. In Email set up wizard, screen 6 of 8, I select option "From" and "To. (Tried to attach the screen print, but message exceed 60,000 chars.) 

• When I manually attached an email, it went to the history of both "From" (myself) and "To" (receipient) 
  • However, when I sent an email to a person from outlook, the email was recorded only in the history of that receipient in ACT!.  Should it go to both "From" and "To"?  just wonder whether I have done something wrong.

Sorry, another question.

Seems only NEW email I created from the outlook will be recorded in the history.

The email I replied to the email I received was not recorded.  Is it the case?

Thanks.