Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

.adt Templates Not Accessible from Other Computers

.adt Templates Not Accessible from Other Computers

Hi,

Just wanting some help. I've just set up Act 10 on 2 computers and have set up some new .adt Word templates for document merging in the main shared database folder. They work fine but only when generated via the machine they were created on. When you try to do a merge using the other computer, they aren't visible in Act even though that machine can see them when viewed in Explorer.

Doesn't make any difference which user is logged in. As a test, I resaved one of the other stock templates as itself in one machine and this made it disappear in the other. Very weird.

It's almost like there's something in the file that doesn't allow it to be seen in any non-local directory.

Thoughts?   

Thanks in advance,

Kurt 

Copper Super Contributor

Re: .adt Templates Not Accessible from Other Computers

Are you certain that the client machine is using Word as it's word processor?
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Yes, exactly the same version - Office 2002. But the thing to note is that each aren't "seeing" the opposite computer's template files at all BEFORE you even attempt a merge or to edit the template.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Because the templates are part of the database, it sounds like you have two different databases
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I don't think so - the contact list, events are shared and working across both machines fine...

Ok, got it. Brad - you were on the money after all. I hadn't noticed that the word processor in one of the machines was set the the Act word processor rather than Word. (Even though it was defaulting to Word if I recall - odd...) So it never occurred to me. Anyway, thanks to you all for your help. It's removed a big headache for me.

cheers,

Kurt 

Copper Super Contributor

Kurt,

There are not that many variables here, a shared database has a single templates folder on the host machine \\machinename\databasename-database files\templates can you navigate to it from the client, can you browse from the write menu in ACT?

The second variable is are they sharing a common platform .adt?  

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Hi Brad,

(Also see my post directly above) Yes I could navigate to the host template folder from the client - it's just that any template (that wasnt an Act stock one) was invisible on the client machine. It could see the folder, but not those new files. And exactly the same thing would happen the other way around when viewing the same folder from the host if the client had created the template. But changing the client word processor setting to Word has made them visible on that machine now. 

cheers,

Kurt