Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

adf.file

Copper Contributor

adf.file

Hello,  how do I get an adf.file converted to a pad.file.  I do not know how it became an adf.file only know that when I try to open it I am told it needs to be a pad.file.  thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: adf.file

The ADF is the actual database, the PAD is a small text pointer to the database/ If you're on the system where the database is located, opening the database with the ADF file will create the pad file. It sounds like you're trying to open the database from a workstation and not the server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy.  I am trying to open it on my workstation but it is on my workstation, along with a pad.file and a .alf file.  But I keep getting the message the database cannot be accessed close firewalls etc.  I have disabled my protection software but still nothing.  This problem started when I installed 2012.

Have a great weekend.

Terry Cole

Most likely the SQL server isn't started.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

When I initially had this problem with a different database I think that was a error message I was getting and Act support gave me some info on that.  Unfortunately I no longer had that info.  Can you help me with getting that fixed?

Go to Computer | Manage | Services and check to see if the SQLACT7 is running.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Now it is asking me for a password.  Anyway to find out what the password is?  i do not remember it.

There likely isn't a password but it will what your user name.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

When I try to open my pad file on my workstation (not on the server) it prompts me for my passward.  It does not matter if I put in a password or not I get the following error "database LendersDatabase3 (a pad file) could not be accessed.  In order to access this database check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  it may be necessary to disable any firewall on your computer or server.  i have disabled the firewall on my computer.  I can't figure out will it will not open the database on my computer which shows about 33,000KB of data.

Copper Elite Contributor

Do you see your database when you select "Open an existing Act! database" from within Act?

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP