Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

adding multiple contacts to a group

Accepted Solution Solved
nmk
Accepted Solution

adding multiple contacts to a group

I have thousands of existing contacts - am just learning about groups - I have Sage Pro 2011.  I am wondering if there is a way to add multiple contacts to a group through a query of some sort - or do need to go through and individually add them to the proper groups?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author nmk
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: adding multiple contacts to a group

Hi Nmk,

if the people you want to put in groups have a common item that can be searched on (e.g. Marketing Permissions = yes, ID status = Prospect, Trade = Electrician, State = QLD) then you could create a lookup based on that data and then add them to a group.

For example, if you wanted to create a group for all people in QLD (my appologies for Australian example) you could do a lookup for everyone that has physical state = QLD, select all the results, and then click the Contacts Menu from the top of Act! and go down to the "add selected to group..." option, and then select your group.

you can also set criteria on a group, so that if certain details are met, contacts will automatically be added to a group when they are created/updated.

Otherwise if you have them in a list already, and know that the first 50 go to Group A, the next 30 to Group B etc, then you can just select the ones you want to move to a group, and perform the steps for add selected to group.

hope this helps.

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author nmk
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Nmk,

if the people you want to put in groups have a common item that can be searched on (e.g. Marketing Permissions = yes, ID status = Prospect, Trade = Electrician, State = QLD) then you could create a lookup based on that data and then add them to a group.

For example, if you wanted to create a group for all people in QLD (my appologies for Australian example) you could do a lookup for everyone that has physical state = QLD, select all the results, and then click the Contacts Menu from the top of Act! and go down to the "add selected to group..." option, and then select your group.

you can also set criteria on a group, so that if certain details are met, contacts will automatically be added to a group when they are created/updated.

Otherwise if you have them in a list already, and know that the first 50 go to Group A, the next 30 to Group B etc, then you can just select the ones you want to move to a group, and perform the steps for add selected to group.

hope this helps.

nmk

It does help!  What are the steps for add selected to group?  I know how to add an individual contact to a group - but not 'selected'... Also - I tried the adding a query to a group that existed - it didn't seem to work.  It wanted me to create a group name.  So - if I have some in an exisiting group and want to do a query to add others to that group - must I create a new group ?  It seems this is what I needed to do when I was trying things out.  Thank  you for your help - no problem with the Australian example - I have many good Aussie friends Smiley Happy

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi nmk,

I realised the version I was working from was Act! Premium 2012, which i guess may have a slightly different layout.

Here are some screenshots displayin my process:

Here is a screen shot for when I want to add selected contacts to a group:

Add Selected to Group

and make sure that groups is selected in the pop up window:

add to groups.

And here is a screenshot of accessing criteria for groups:

Set group Criteria

I would also recommend referring to these KB articles as well as the terminology my differ between versions:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12864

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11604

Cheers,