Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

actdiag won't start

actdiag won't start

I don't know what has happened to my ACT. I  use a remote database as I telecommute. I can't open a database (.pad or .adf file). I get this error:The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server."

Then I go to start actdiag and it doesn't open properly. I get this message: Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance. Click Yes to Continue, No to restart actdiag, cancel to close. I repeatedly clicked No and nothing happened. I click Yes and all I see are the menu options and the descriptions on top. I don't have any text or options below the description. Just a big grey box.

I go to services.msc and the following are started: SLQ Server ACT7, SQL Server Browser, SQL Server VSS Writer. The only one that won't start is SQL Server Active Directory Helper.

I am at a complete loss as to what to do.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: actdiag won't start

I have done most of these steps already. Am I trying to fix the database file first and then actdiag will work? I was thinking that actdiag needs to be working prior to the database. It just seems strange to me that this just suddenly happened.
Platinum Elite Contributor

If it can't access the SQL engine, then neither will work.

Check all the steps - that error will always be one of them

1. Share database enabled - yes

2. Permissions for folders - yes

3. Compatability mode - turned off as directed

4. Recently changed computer name - nothing changed

5. Damaged .PAD file  - can't start actdiag to check/fix this

6. Different ACT versions - they are the same on host computer and my remote

7. SQL Server Browser and ACT7 not started - they are started

8. Protocols for ACT7; TCP/IP is Disabled- enabled

9. Firewall/AntiVirus blocking access - nothing is being blocked

10. Windows Server 2008 incorrectly configured - we both have XP and has always been configured correctly

11. DEP Settings - checked them and they are correct

12. Preferences file damaged - followed steps to fix as directed

13. Compressed files - none of my files are compressed

14. Your database is damaged - I can't open actdiag to rebuild and repair

15. Multiple shares - only 1 share

16. Client maching hosting - no issue

I have done all I can. I don't know what else to try.

Platinum Super Contributor

Have you tried restarting the 'SQL Server (Act7)' service, or rebooting the computer? 

Beyond that it sounds like your SQL install has become corrupted and an uninstall/reinstall would be the next step.  You would uninstall Act! and the Microsoft SQL Server pieces (as long as no other programs are using SQL Server 2005 on the computer).

Greg Martin
Sage

Already did an uninstall and reinstall of SQL Server. So I guess I should uninstall ACT, then uninstall SQL Server, then reinstall ACT. Doesn't ACT install SQL Server?

If you can tell me step by step what I need to do, that would really help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Ok - some background info... when the Act! install runs it creates the Act7 instance within the SQL install (if SQL isn't present - Act! will install it).  If you have uninstalled SQL and reinstalled it, depending on how you reinstalled SQL, you may not have recreated the Act7 instance or it has been recreated with a new 'password' that the install of Act! isn't aware of.

- if you reinstalled SQL using the SQLInstall.exe file from the Act! Dependencies folder - i will should have recreated the Act7 instance and re-established communication.

- if you reinstalled SQL using the SQLExpr.exe file from the Act! Dependencies folder and used the article Manually create Act7 instance SQL Express, be sure you followed the steps at the end of the instance creation concerning running the SecurityCmdLnApp.exe.

- if you reinstalled SQL Express from some other source and did not go through the steps to create the Act7 instance, the easiest thing to do now is to uninstall Act! (from Add/Remove Programs), reboot (just good practice), and then reinstall Act!.  It will recognize the existing SQL install and create the Act7 instance within it.

If you are uncertain with what you have on your machine at this point, go ahead and uninstall Act!, uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server pieces (2005, Native Client, VSS Writer, and Setup Support Files).  Once these have been uninstalled, reboot the computer, then reinstall Act! as normal.  It will reinstall SQL, create the instance, and re-establish the connection between Act! and SQL. 

Greg Martin
Sage

okay, I have uninstalled act and sql server. i went to reinstall act and it keeps stopping when installing the sql database. it says that there is already an instance. however all instances have been deleted from my services at services.msc. so the install stops. i have run a master uninstall that removes all registry components from act. i then ran registry mechanic and cleaned up more stuff. i still can't get past this part in the install. help!

i did it! went and found all sorts of files to delete and that did the trick. up and running now. thanks for all the advice.