Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act8 - different between group and company

act8 - different between group and company

hi, what's the exact different between group and company other than dynamicity? any example on your 'company' usage? thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: act8 - different between group and company

There are lots of differences. The main ones off the top of my head would be:

A contact can only belong to one company, but many groups
When you update company fields, you can select to update the contact fields at the same time (eg company address)

hi Mike,

can you give me an scenario that you use companies please? thanks.

Sure... everyone I know at XYZ company, I link to their company record.

This means that:
a) If they change address, I just change the company record and it will update all linked contacts
b) I can look at all activities, histories and sales ops that I have with the contacts at XYZ together
c) Because I use MergeMaster to do email merges, I can use Company fields in the merge as well as contact fields

Basically it makes it easy to look at the organisation as an account
Copper Contributor

Of course, in my opinion, the biggest advantage of groups is using dynamic group membership.
Having group membership "automatically update" based on contact fields is awesome.  I use a group fro "friends", another for "employees" etc based on the ID/Status field content and I can then do quick lookups and mail merges from the groups view

Pierre

In my opinion, ever since the beginning (or close to it)... Groups has been about the most powerful function in ACT!

It often amazes me how few people really explore this area.
DEW

I have just started using ACT - I was using TeleMagic, but it is gone now.  Anyway why when I enter a contact does it not ask me about company and groups?  For example i have several contacts in one company but when I change to the company view that company is not listed and neither are my contacts.

Tuned Listener

Contacts can belong to more than one company, just like groups, but you can only link a contact to one company. Companies has dynamic criteria as well just like groups. The only difference between groups and companies is the company link feature as of ACT! 10. In ACT! 8 the other difference would be you can't make companies private or limited access.
Employee

Hi Dew,

have you been able to migrate your data from Telemagic to ACT! ?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten