Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act1820update7 Issue

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

act1820update7 Issue

We run a single ACT! Database which has, over the years, been migrated from our first installation of ACT! 6 through to ACT! 18 (actpro_1820x53_EN).

Initially we had 2 user licenses and 2 administrative users in the database (denominated user Back Office & user Front Office).

Due to instability problems with the ACT! Software prior to ACT! 18 we decided to reduce our exposure to ACT! as far as was feasible and now have just a single user.

The database still has both users though the user Front Office is redundant and can be deleted. There may be some old legacy records relating to Front Office which can be reallocated to Back Office.

Following the update to act1820update7 the licensing key broke. This was fixed by the reissue of the activation key in the new format.

The Manage Users panel now shows the situation as this

Capture.PNG

I need to delete the Front Office user and make the Back Office user the active user.

I had assumed that I would be able to log on as the Back Office user and make the Front Office user inactive.

Unfortunately I can only log on as Front Office. As Front Office I don’t have the option to make the user Front Office inactive and the user Back Office active.

Whilst I understand that ACT! 18 is EoL and no longer under a support agreement the problem was caused by the act1820update7 so can you tell me how to escape from this Catch 22.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author BestFrenchMortgage
‎12-18-2019 10:29 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: act1820update7 Issue

4 points to round off this post:

1: The user also accesses the database from home via a laptop which synchronizes with the work PC where the main database resides. To fix the problem on the laptop ACT! 18 needed to be reinstalled a second time (using the act1820update7 package - again) before it worked predictably. It seems to me that there are long term stability issues with ACT! software (previously reported by many) because program behavior should be invariant across identical platforms and the underlying hardware should not be an issue. In my experience the long running instability of ACT SQL Server versions - ACT 6 was the last "solid" version! - is why we have worked to get ACT! out of the organization except for this 1 legacy database.

2: Re-installing ACT! broke Outlook which necessitated Office being re-installed. This sort of issue never ceases to surprise me because ACT! is the simplest software we run yet it creates the majority of our problems.

3: Because of the track record of ACT! software post ACT! 6, it has proved easier to get one version, in our present case ACT! 18, sufficiently stable to limp along. This is far easier than keep upgrading to the latest version and having to work through the bugs in new (customer tested?) versions.

4. ACT! support were not effective. The latest I have from them is "Sadly there is no way around this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope you have a great Christmas and New year". Nothing changes over at ACT! support, I guess.

Finally, thanks again Mark. Problem solved thanks to you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Don't know if this would work, but you could try performing a Restore As on a backup, and logging into the new database as your second user?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Will try right now, D
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi Mark, you're right.

Your suggestion works, very many thanks.

Out of interest, I've just got a suggestion from ACT! Support "Password resets are chargeable so as such, I’d recommend contacting the company you purchased Act! from."

David
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author BestFrenchMortgage
‎12-18-2019 10:29 AM
Copper Contributor

4 points to round off this post:

1: The user also accesses the database from home via a laptop which synchronizes with the work PC where the main database resides. To fix the problem on the laptop ACT! 18 needed to be reinstalled a second time (using the act1820update7 package - again) before it worked predictably. It seems to me that there are long term stability issues with ACT! software (previously reported by many) because program behavior should be invariant across identical platforms and the underlying hardware should not be an issue. In my experience the long running instability of ACT SQL Server versions - ACT 6 was the last "solid" version! - is why we have worked to get ACT! out of the organization except for this 1 legacy database.

2: Re-installing ACT! broke Outlook which necessitated Office being re-installed. This sort of issue never ceases to surprise me because ACT! is the simplest software we run yet it creates the majority of our problems.

3: Because of the track record of ACT! software post ACT! 6, it has proved easier to get one version, in our present case ACT! 18, sufficiently stable to limp along. This is far easier than keep upgrading to the latest version and having to work through the bugs in new (customer tested?) versions.

4. ACT! support were not effective. The latest I have from them is "Sadly there is no way around this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope you have a great Christmas and New year". Nothing changes over at ACT! support, I guess.

Finally, thanks again Mark. Problem solved thanks to you.