Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act pro 2011 database copy failed

Accepted Solution Solved
Master Commentator
Accepted Solution

act pro 2011 database copy failed

hello,

i am trying to make a copy of the demo database that comes with act pro 2011 using the save copy as dialog box.

i get the foolowing error message

"the database failed to copy for the following reason. the system cannot find the file specified"

what does this mean and how do i fix it?

when i couldn't make a copy of the demo database, i created a new empty database and then tried to make a copy of it using the save copy as dialog box and got the same message, so now i am stumped.

i noticed that the "share database: option on the save as copy dialog box is not enabled.

if i helps, i have windows 7 home premium installed and i am the administrator of the computer.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author training2go
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: act pro 2011 database copy failed

Since you are using Windows 7, try running the Act! program 'As Administrator'.  To do this: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select 'Run As Administrator' > test creating a copy.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author training2go
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Since you are using Windows 7, try running the Act! program 'As Administrator'.  To do this: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select 'Run As Administrator' > test creating a copy.

Greg Martin
Sage
Master Commentator

Hi Greg,

Selecting the Run as administrator option worked. Do I have something set up wrong in windows 7, that I need to set this option?
I figured out how to make the selection permanent and it got me to thinking that there may be an option in the Control panel that I could set to do this do all software by default. I couldn't find such an option. Do you know if one exists?

Thank you so much.

Tracy

Tracy,

With Windows 7 (and Vista), there is a security program called 'User Account Control' (UAC).  With this program enabled you will need to run Act! as administrator.  You can disable the program if you'd like, but with everything now working and Act! set to always run as admin - you shouldn't have to disable it.

If you decide you would like to disable UAC, here is an article with the steps: KB Article 25665

Greg Martin
Sage
Master Commentator

Hi Greg.

Thank you for resolving this for me.

Now that I have the shortcut set to run in administrator mode, I get s pop-up asking if it's ok to let act modify the computer. Is this normal?

What I find strange is that so far, ACT is the only software that has given me this problem on my Windows 7 laptop. Is there a reason for that?

Thank you.
Tracy

Hi

I have been trying to create an empty copy of our database but having tried your comments above still get error "The Database failed to copy due to the following reason: Error in the application"

It does seem to create an empty copy from the Demo database.

I have done this a number of times before but never on a Windows 7 machine.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

Hello IanR,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You indicate that this may be database specific (works in demo, not in main database); are the 2 database physically located on the same computer?

In other words, are you attempting the empty copy from a workstation?  If yes, attempt the empty copy signed on to the machine that hosts the database.

Have you tried the steps in the article for disabling UAC?

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have tried this empty copy on the main machine, that hosts the Master database and the remote on my laptop. On both machines the demo can create an empty copy but not the main database or remote. In both instances the error is the same.

I also tried using a workstation, just in case this might work, but it gave the normal error that you have to be on the machine hoisting the database to create a copy.

I have checked UAC and on both machines disabled.

It's a conundrum!

Any other thoughts gratefully received.

Ian

Ok - definitely database specific.

Can you create a backup of the database (File > Backup > Database)?

If yes, can you restore it - using Restore As option (File > Restore > Database > Restore As) - restoring to a new name? 

If any errors during those steps, what are the errors?

If able to restore backup > can you create an empty copy from the restored copy?

Try database maintenance: Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.

After maintenance, attempt Empty Copy.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg

Thanks for this.

Yes I can back up on all machines- automatically scheduled each day.

So I'll try to restore the most recent and then see if I can make an empty copy from the restored database.

Have done most to the database maintenance - even some of the repairs in Actdiag- but will do it again on the restored version and see what happens.

Many thanks again.

Ian