Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act 2008 loosing preferences

act 2008 loosing preferences

Successfully installed '08 on my notebook but for some reason its a problem on my desktop.

On every start-up of the program the setup wizard runs- I set the preferences but they never "take" and
next start-up the wizard is there again- any help appreciated. 
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: act 2008 loosing preferences

What version of 2008 are you running?

Go to Help/About ACT to get your exact version number.

Thanks

thanks I am seeing version 10.0.1.199
Copper Contributor

I have heard that this is a big problem from a quite a few other users.  I have issues with ACT!10.1 Premium losing my users Mail Client preferences.
Nickel Super Contributor

Just curious if this has ever worked on this machine and did you have a previous version of ACT loaded on it?

I'm going to give you some instructions on completely deleting your preferences. Once you do that, when you launch ACT you will need to set them back up and see if they retain.

Close ACT and go to Start/Run and type in %appdata% This will bring you to the Application Data folder. Once in that folder, open the ACT! Folder. In the ACT Folder, open the ACT for Windows 10 folder. Once inside the ACT for Windows 10 folder, find and delete the Preferences folder. Also in the ACT for Windows 10 folder, find and delete the PreferencesBAK.xml file.

Once that folder and file has been deleted, there is one more file you will need to delete. Open up My Computer/C Drive/Program Files/ACT/ACT For Windows. Once in the ACT for Windows folder, find and delete the Preferences.xml file.

Now launch ACT. You will need to set up your preferences once more, but hopefully, they will retain.

Thank you that did the trick. I am usually sorting everyone else's computer problems, nice change to get helped out. Yes I briefly had Act 2006 on this machine but it was a no go with Vista, so I bought 2008. BTW there was no preferences.bak file. Curious too why an act for windows 8 folder was there. Thanks again
Nickel Super Contributor

Glad to hear it worked.

The reason for the ACT for Windows 8 folder is because ACT 2006 was originally installed. These folders are not removed with the new install as they can contain the database from that version.
Copper Contributor

Hi,

That's not the exact problem I have, but it is similar. I set the columns that I'd like to display in the activities, history, and notes tab of the contact info and they keep resetting to teh default view. What I originally tried that did not work, but may help you was to go to run, then type in ACTDIAG, then tools, ,then delete preferences, and start over with you preferences.