Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Zip backups are way too large

Zip backups are way too large

ACT! 11, upgraded from 6. I ran a backup after importing my old 6 database. What was a 3meg zip on 6 was now a 62meg on 11. Then I created a new database and just entered a name only and then went to help>about>database info and the database is 21meg. I think for a single entry that that is quite large. Is this normal? I have folks in the field and would like them to send in backups on a regular basis but with about 500 contacts they are telling me the zip files are over 60meg, hardy anything you want passed via email. any ideas?

All machines are XP pro SP2

Samuel

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Zip backups are way too large

Yes the backups with the new version of ACT! are large. Why don't you setup synchronization for the people that use ACT! in the field?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy, I planned on testing the sync function again. We tried using it 10 years ago with an older version but it was the worst. At the time it was email based and attached itself. I had way too many headaches. Maybe it is better now with the use of the internet.

I still don't really understand why the backup file for a brand new db with one contact can be 20meg, that just seems strange.

Sam

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sync is totally different and more reliable now. With ACT! 6 and before, sync could be stable provided it was setup correct and avoided many of the actions that could break the sync. 

The database is now SQL server based which is a more complex database structure that will accommodate larger numbers of records. Also the backups now include all the layouts and templates plus all the attachments. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129