Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

XP BSOD Crash (0x0000007f) Every Time Any Database Opened

Copper Contributor

XP BSOD Crash (0x0000007f) Every Time Any Database Opened

I'd greatly appreciate help from Sage or Community:

Upgraded to ACT! Pro 2012 a while back and all was OK. 

Yesterday, updated as directed to latest release (14.1.108.0) and all seemed OK.  When opening database, began automatic conversion, and that appeared to complete OK as well.

The went to open database and crashed with BSOD:

20120113 ACT! BSOD Crash Info.jpg

This happens whenever I try to open a database, any database, even if I create a new one.

Any ideas what changed between 2012 Pro's initial release and this update???

Thanks,

Tom

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: XP BSOD Crash (0x0000007f) Every Time Any Database Opened

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

I haven't heard of this situation before, but here are steps I would use to troubleshoot it:

1. Restart computer in 'Selective Startup' to ensure there isn't a conflict with other software (such as anti-virus).  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 14173

2. If opening the database in Selective Startup is successful, use the following article to add exceptions to your anti-virus software: KB Article 25125

3. If that does not resolve the issue, uninstall ACT! (do not uninstall SQL) and re-install with fully updated installation files (including sp1).  See your Private Notes for a link to download the installation files.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I'm now experiencing intermittent crashes - sometimes it works and sometimes crashes, but always (and only) upon opening database.  I'll try your recommended steps the next time it fails.

I actually tracked Tom down and his solution also worked for me. In case anyone else is suffereing here is what I did and it is now working.

• Uninstalled all SQL Server instances (including ACT! instance) - LItterally Every Version in Add/Remove Programs of Microsoft SQL
  • Uninstalled ACT!
  • Uninstalled Microsoft .Net Framwork 3.5 (This is the version ACT 2012 comes with so I knew it would install if uninstalled
  • Re-installed ACT! (which installed Microsoft SQL as part of the installation process)

All that being said, I’m not sure which actions actually corrected the problem since I performed them all at once. The SQL uninstall ideas came from the original poster, the .net framework was my addition from looking that the memdump logs.

I cannot say if this will have any effect on other programs you may be running that use SQL. I can tell you it fixed ACT. I did spend hours on the phone with a very nice ACT Technical Support Agent before to no avail.

If Sage is monitoring post - Ticket #8001835137 can be closed and please reference this post.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Luckyivy,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Thank you for the follow up on this issue! I've read the notes from the case, and from what they contain and what you've posted here - the most likely culprit was a corrupted .Net 3.5. I will pass along to the analyst how you were able to resolve the issue.
Greg Martin
Sage

I wanted to provide an additional update as a cautionary notice.

I updated ACT! 2012 to the newest version and when I reopened the database, it had to convert it.

After the database conversition completed successfully, BSOD returned upon opening the database. I am going to try and reinstall the .net framework only and see if that works. If not, I will uninstall SQL, .net framework and ACT and try again and NOT update ACT.

It appears to me that maybe the update corrupts the .net framework?

All weird....

I repaired the .net framework v3.5 sp1 to its original state and the database opened again.

Final thought is the database conversion is some how corrupting the .net framework. My only guess...