Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

XACT addon Outlook Contacts Add-on

XACT addon Outlook Contacts Add-on

Hi to all.

I asked the following question elsewhere but I'm still waiting an answer. So I hope that here someone could help me with this issue aven if is not strictly connected with the product itself.

I was trying the mentioned "XACT addon Outlook Contacts Add-on" from http://www.freeactaddons.com/ but I have an issue:

After having attached a mail to an opportunity, I go into the history tab for that opportunity and the email is there. Great! But the fields are mapped in a strange way: for example the date/time is not taken from the date/time of the received email in Outlook but from the date/time in which I performed the attach operation. For example today is 03/12/2011 23.28. I attach an email received on 30/11/2011 15.27. In the history tab for the opportunity I see the email but the date is 30/11/2011 15.27. Is this designed to work in this way? Or is a little bug?

I will be grateful to anyone who can give me some help.

Thanks

Gino

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: XACT addon Outlook Contacts Add-on

I would say that's the way it's designed ... most people would want the attached emails to show at the date/time they were received/sent, not when you get around to adding it to the contact
Employee

This is the intended behavior for this action. The Act database is going to record the the date and time that actions are performed with it. It would be possible to create a seperate table/field, linked to Outlook that would record the date/time that emails are received, but this would likely require some additional development.

In short, this is working as designed.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

[ Edited ]

I understand now. Anyway I was so deeply involved to look at the dates of creation that I missed the fact that using that plugin the "Regarding and Details" field remains empty. I mean it doesn't take the subject of the email. Instead if I use the long "road" (Attach to contact-> Share with-> Select Opportunity) than that field takes the subject of the email.
It's like the plugin is lame (cripple - hope to have translated correctly from the italian).

Anyway I apologize for this thread I know that ACT is contact centric and not account or opportunity centric.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong product to just consider buying a Sales Automation software.
For the sake of curiosity: the other products from Sage are more opportunity centric or they follow the same philosophy?

Gino

Bronze Elite Contributor

Matthew,

I believe the comments apply to the free addon software that we developed to improve on Sage ACT!'s own Create ACT! Contact integration for Outlook. Our product allows users to select their own fields in creating an ACT! record and other useful attachment options such as attaching email attachments to documents tab etc. Refer www.freeactaddons.com

No, as odd as it may seem Mike, we didn't go out of our way to design the date/time stamp to reflect the actual time/date of performing the attaching. We will take a look at the code and change it to reflect what is obviously more useful, to record the receive time/date as that for the Outlook message.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Elite Contributor

Gino,

You might appreciate that as a developers we aren't spending a lot of our time in detail of design for a product that we give for free. However in looking at the attaching time/date stamp we will take a look at your newly posted issue. I suggest that you outline in detail what your preferred integration is for Outlook so that we better understand what business objectives you are wanting to achieve.

Graeme Leo

Leo,
I'm not criticizing your work, really. And overall I'm very grateful to you and to all the guys that made an effort to make that addon free. There are people that make money for this kind of stuff so my maximum respect for you and for your work.

Since I'm pretty new to all this CRM software my intention was to better understand the mechanism behind the integration between a mail client like Outlook and a CRM like ACT. Sorry if my post has given a bad idea of me and hurted you.

I'm so interested in that addon because it would resolve all the doubts that we have in choosing a CRM like ACT. We are 3 guys in a startup company here in Italy and we work in a sector (Industrial Manufacturing) that is absolutely opportunity centric: but to be honest we do not have too much money and we are too small to invest in other expensive software. Moreover we are not well connected to the internet here in our country to think using an "on demand" software. So we think that the solution ACT + XACT Outlook Contacts Add-On is the right choice for now.

I was trying to figure out where this combination could bring us and during some test I saw that little issues.

>I suggest that you outline in detail what your preferred integration is for Outlook

The integration given from your addon is perfect because all that matters for us in our workflow is to have: Email-> Opportunity-> ...and then the rest...
Sometimes happens that we have Email-> Leads but is a very rare case.
Anyway just to complete: your addon already has what we need, the only thing is that the opportunity's fields should reflect the email fields in this way:
Date: corresponding to the date in the email in which I receive itself.
Time: corresponding to the time in the email in which I receive itself.
Regarding & Details: the subject of the received email.

Anyway thanks a lot for your attention and your prompt reply and excuse me again for not have been so clear before.
My Best Regards

Gino

Bronze Elite Contributor

Gino,

So we will be updating the software by Mid February 2012 and if your suggestions make business sense to do so we will add them. I will post back here when changes are completed or you can simply subscribe to us on  Twitter  to get an update.

Graeme Leo

Leo,
thanks a lot for your interest in supporting some modifications. We really appreciate it. We are also available to make beta testing if you need. I'll subscribe also to Twitter and will check the board on a regular basis.

Thanks again
Gino