Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Writing letters with a picture field

Writing letters with a picture field

Hi,

I created a template were the the cotact picture autopopulates when I write them a letter.  However, I'm having trouble with the picture. I'm using Microsoft Word as my editor and the picture comes up in the letter but it has some white spots all over it.  It's happening whether I'm writing a single letter or a mail merge.  My version of Word is 3003 and I'm using the ACT 2008 version.  I thought it was a security issue with the Macros but I've played around with the settings and there's no difference.  Does anyone know what the problem may be??

Thanks in advance.

Copper Contributor

Re: Writing letters with a picture field

IF the original picture is ok them my first first thought is a display problem.  However, how are you putting the picture into the template?  VBA, fieldcode ??

Does the picture show up properly if you do a simple insert picture into a) the template and b) a blank document?

Is the picture being resized from the orginal?

I read a post ealier where .Net can cause display issues.  Maybe reinstall .Net. (I'm really shooting in the dark on this one but it's a thought).

Are the dots "permanent"?  Have you saved and reopened the document to see if they're still displayed?

Is it all pictures with this template or only the contact picture?  Try another picture from your local HDD somewhere else in the document.

While these are just shots in the dark, the answers to the questions may help narrow down the cause of the problem.

Cheers

Shane

Thanks for the response Shane.  Apparently it has something to do with the pixels in the picture the way it's saved.  When ACT reads it for the merger, it reads it without some of the colors for some reason.  If I delete that picture and insert the same picture directly into the letter (without it being an actual picture field) then it comes up fine.  What we did to fix it, since I don't know what the correct picture settings should be in order for ACT to read it correctly while merging was to, clicl the "restore" picture icon in Word and it reverts to the colors the way the picture is saved.  Then, I have to resize the picture as it gets bigger after restoring, but at least I can get rid of the white spots.

Would you happen to know what the correct pixel ratio or settings should be when I'm saving the picture so this doesn't happen?

Thanks again!!

Mireya

Copper Contributor

I'm glad you found the cause of the problem.  I'm afraid I can't help you with the pixel ratio.  Maybe something as simple as changing the original size or filetype (.jpg .png) may help.

Good luck.

Shane