Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Would it be better to install an Act2012 database on a local workstation or a network file server?

Would it be better to install an Act2012 database on a local workstation or a network file server?

I am totally new to Act! and decided to purchase Act 2012 Pro because I'm still using Office 2003.  I have not yet installed it and would welcome advice from those with more knowledge about the best way to proceed.  I have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 network with about a dozen attached workstations.  All workstations are running Windows 7 (32-bit).  ACT! will be used initially by only 2 of these users who will share a common database.  SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express Edition) is already installed and running on the network file server supporting databases for 2 other applications.  For all  of our business applications, data files are stored on the server and backed up nightly; only programs reside on individual workstations.  Thus, it seems to be the ideal solution would be for the ACT! database to reside on the file server rather than on a local workstation, but it seems the default installation is geared toward installation on a workstation.  Would installation on the file server be unwise or problematic?  If not, then do I need to install ACT on the server or can I simply create an instance for the ACT7 database on the server as described in a posting in the technical database section of this website?  If I did this, would the users be able to customize (maintain) the database to their liking once the ACT program is installed on their workstations?  I'm just really unclear on the best approach to take and would rather ask for advice up front than create a messed up installation.  Remote access isn't an issue or concern for us ... the issues are to get up and running smoothly and make sure the database will be easy to back up.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Would it be better to install an Act2012 database on a local workstation or a network file server?

This KB article will give you details on sharing a database over a LAN: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

Of course, you should be aware that Windows 2003 isn't supported by Microsoft any more, and can be a security risk
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Would it be better to install an Act2012 database on a local workstation or a network file server?

Hi Mike

Good advice and link.

I think the user stated that it was Outlook 2003 on Windows 2008 R2.

Best regards

Chip

Platinum Elite Contributor

Bronze Elite Contributor

My mistake Mike.

Thanks to Mike and others who provided the requested advice.  I'd like to report the results.  Following the advice received, I did a full install of Act~ Pro 2012 onto my Windows Small Business Server 2003 file server.  That install went smoothly and I was able to create a shared database using SQL Server 2008 R2.  The version of Act! contained on my installation CDs was 14.0.572.0 Hotfix 2.  I then successfully installed Act! Pro 2012 on two workstations running Windows 7 (32 bit) and successfully connected to the shared SQL database on the file server.  (During the workstation installation, I did NOT install SQL Server 2008 on either workstation.)  I added a few new contacts to the database and everything seemed to running fine.

I then clicked on the Act! Update selection on the HELP tab and Act! advised me that an update was available.  So I downloaded the update and successfully installed it on each of the two workstations.  Following the update, the workstations indicate version 14.1.108.0.  But, when I tried to reconnect to the database, I received a message that the "database needs to be updated."  I tried to do that from one of the workstations (with the other workstation not connected to the DB) but received an error message.  I don't know whether this was because I had not installed the SQL Server software locally or because the update needed to be done on the "host" machine, i.e., the Windows SBS 2003.  I assumed the latter and proceeded to try to upgrade the Act! software installed on the file server.  This is where everything hit the wall.  Following exactly the same process that had worked successfully on both workstations, Act! found and downloaded the update, but it crashed during installation with an error message that reads,

Resolution of the dependency failed, type="Act.UI.ActApplication", name="".  Exception message is: The current build operation (build key

Build Key [Act.UI.ActApplication,null]) failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3)

This is apparently not an uncommon error, as I found numerous references to it in the community knowledgebase (a couple of which were even specific to Act! 2012).  Following the steps outlined in those posts, I spent roughly 10 hours yesterday uninstalling, rebooting, the reinstalling Act! on my server trying the various proposals ... all without success.  I downloaded the updates directly from the Sage website so that I could install them in steps rather than jumping directly to the most recent, but this was also not successful, as I receive the exact same error message trying to install SP1.

The only proposed steps I have not yet tried are uninstalling Net Framework 4.0 and Net Framework 4.5 from the server as I don't know what other applications may be using this.  A couple of other users in the posts indicated that fix had worked for them.

But, prior to trying this, I'd like to ask the community if that's really the best way to proceed or if going back and installing SQL Server 2008 on one of the local workstations, converting the database there, then moving the database back to the file server might be more expedient?  Given the version of Act! under consideration, it's obvious that there aren't going to be any future updates to Act! 2012 --- so once I get the workstations updated and the DB converted, then I assume I'd be good to go, indefinitely.  Is there any reason that I would ever need the Act! software installed on the server?  Again, I'm seeking advice from people more knowledgeable than me about the best way to proceed at this point.

Bronze Elite Contributor

A couple of things - You can only upgrade the database from the host machine so you are correct about needing to do this from the server.

Use the link below and about half way down this issue is cobered in some detail.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25865/~/error%3A-resolution-of-the-dependency-failed-or-ex...