Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Workflow add-on for Act! 2011 recommendations (a smarter Activity Series)?

Copper Contributor

Workflow add-on for Act! 2011 recommendations (a smarter Activity Series)?

Invested a lot of time and effort in Smart Tasks but came to the conclusion that although it has the potential to be a very useful it is it has too many deficiencies and it is much too limited. I was looking forward to the ST 2011 addition but the more I tested it the more disappointing it proved to be.

Can anyone recommend Workflow add-on, I currently use Activity Series, it works but it would be nice to find a software that can also automate tasks in addition to scheduling?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Workflow add-on for Act! 2011 recommendations (a smarter Activity Series)?

Sales Automation Manager (SAM) from CRM Addons - http://www.crmaddons.com/p-36-sales-automation-manager.aspx

Super powerful and customizable.  It can pretty much do anything you need automated.  Feel free to contact me with any questions, I use it, and have set it up for clients.  It's not hard, but it is particular in getting things to flow like you want them...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Thanks, I remember looking into SAM a few years ago but my eyes glazed over at what I perceived to be a very big learning curve to implement it.

Perhaps it's time to have another look. In addition to their website what resources do you recommend would be helpful?

I am a little intimidated by this software, I also understand that the company does not offer ongoing technical support.

I would appreciate any information or suggestions you could provide.

Nickel Elite Contributor

You've got some good points.  I do get emails back from them if I submit a question, but not necessarily right away, sometimes much later.  In their defense, I will say that the programs (WebProspect, MailMerge, SAM, Act2Excel are the ones I've implemented) work without error.  It's not necessarily support I need when I email, rather guidance, which relates to your learning curve observation.

It's one of those programs that does so much it's hard to know where to start.  However, after a campaign or two, or just looking at the examples, it's not hard to figure out, but as I said earlier - it's somewhat particular, you've got to get it right or it won't work properly.

This also might be something where you would benefit from a consultant.  I know the most recent campaign I setup was a few hundred, but the return this company got by a) the response from emails, and b) the time savings of automating workflow was so immediate that I'm pretty sure my cost was absorbed within days.

It is one of the best workflow automation tools for ACT, you can always run the trial for a month...

Richard Brust
Nickel Elite Contributor

Just wanted to add this update - I had some questions pop up this week about SAM - emailed Bob, and got a response back within a few hours.  Thought I should add that since I think that's a good turn-around on support...

Richard Brust
Copper Contributor

Thanks, I will look into implementing SAM or something similar during the Xmas holidays and into January, slow period.

In the meantime can you recommend a program I can use that does a better job that the Activity Series but does not require the learning curve of SAM that I can implement until we can grasp something like SAM.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Define 'better'.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Thanks.

A user friendly interface for creating and printing activity series. Any automation, even if basic would be nice.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I don't think you will do any better than SAM from Northwoods. Yes you will have to put a little time into learning the product but it rewards many times over. Northwoods software in my experience is reliable, predictable and error free. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

I sent a support question by email to Northwoods about a month ago (during the trial) following leaving them a request for a call back on their voicemail. 

I have yet to reach them, I hear that I am not alone, I suspect that they have disappeared.

Don't know about you but this sub-level of non-customer service is a big red flag.

I remain hopeful that Smart Tasks will improve, at least we can get a hold of the company.