Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Word mail merge question

Astute Commentator

Word mail merge question

I have a group that I want to send a letter to. I have created the lookup, written the letter, performed the mail merge. Everything came out like I expected except when I go to look at the history under a single contact it has the entire document with all the letters from each contact in the lookup. For example, my letter is one page long and I have 127 contacts in the lookup. When I do the mail merge the word doc comes up as a 127 page document with 1 page for each contact. The history that is saved is 127 pages long with each of the 1 page documents from all 127 contacts.

Is there any way to make it so it just saves the 1 page document for that contact in the history?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Word mail merge question

The mail merge only creates a single document.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Super Contributor

You can always go back and manually record a history for the entire lookup and create a shortcut to the saved file.  KB Article on how to do this. 

Save the document to your computer somewhere, then inside the create new history window, create a shortcut to that file.  This way, you aren't making 100 different copies, your just linking to one file 100 different times.  The Word file will still have all the letters in it, but it won't take up so much space.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com
Astute Commentator

That is what I was afraid of.

I guess I could always just do the mail merge for the contact rather than for the entire lookup if I really wanted the history by itself. This seems rather odd that they would not have come up with a better way to create history like this. Seems to me that I am not the first one to want to have the history of a letter that was written to a large group of people.......

Astute Commentator

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I suppose you could do that. It seems like a lot of work just to save disk space. Especially since the real reason for my question was to have the history look like what was actually sent. I guess if you ever need it in the future you can always go back and print the one page you need.