Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Word 2013 Compatibility

Copper Contributor

Word 2013 Compatibility

Just upgraded to V16 and find that Act! still outputs a Word 2003 .doc file even if you have defaulted to .docx files using Word 2013. What is the level of compatibility with Office 2013 Home and Business (the one you supposedly license the good old fashioned way by downloading all the files to your hard drive)?? In that the programs are concurrently marketed and Act! V16 is supposedly bringing compatibility to the table, does that just mean Outlook or will Word get some attention as well? I generate a lot of documents from my Act! database, but more often than not I'm not completely happy with the results. Thought V16 would finally fix that.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Word 2013 Compatibility

Excited to see some posts from early users of v16!

Keeping at the lowest common denominator for outputted files makes us more efficient in supporting 4 different versions of Office. 

Is there a problem that will be solved by saving our documents as docx?

Copper Contributor

Hi Ben, there are several areas that just working on some compatibility would be helpful. I use Act! to create documents in Word 2013 two ways. First, to provide a data source for a mail-merge document assembly within Word 2013 using the Word 2013 (as has been there since Word 1.0) to insert data or control text that is inserted in the Word document. This method relies on fields in Word which Act! does not access at all. For example, if I want to write about a third person named Jim and rather than say Jim all the time, with Word's fields I can direct the letter to insert personal pronouns instead, such as he, him or his even. You have to export from Act! to a data file and import to Word to do that. Somewhere along the way, Act! stopped exporting as a simple ASCII file when exporting to a text file and begain exporting using some other encryption scheme. Or perhaps Word added an encryption scheme to its list of schemes above the ASCII entry so the default when the dialog opened was no longer ASCII but the one just above it. Anyway, aside from the error stating my map file is improper every time I export using a map file that works, by the way, I can accomplish most of those merges to create trusts, wills, contracts and many documents I like to automate. Now the second method, using Act! for the mail-merge service provider, results in two headaches I can think of right now. First, there's a pesky problem with the error message "Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.ApplicationClass' to interface 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00020970-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: The RPC Server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)."  This happens multiple times a day and to correct it I have to reboot my computer or restart Act!, not sure which one is effective every time. Then when it is successful at creating a Word document, it is the old .doc format and there's no option to get the new .docx format. This is only a problem when I'm searching for a Word document in Word and it is set to find "Word Documents" and it filters out the .doc files while showing the .docx files. I can see them in Windows Explorer, but not in the Word "Open" dialog box. I know that all of these problems are not caused by the .doc vs .docx issue, but they are not mitigated by the fact Act! is advertised as compatible with Microsoft Office. Sorry so long, but experienced all of these issues this morning on one client file so it's fresh on my mind. What am I doing wrong?

Copper Contributor

I have a new one now that I've attempted to edit a template in Word 2013, I get the result when attempting to open the editor as follows:  Call was rejected by callee. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010001 (RPC_E_CALL_REJECTED)).

Is this a work in progress or a work out on Someday Isle?

Copper Contributor

Update:  The RPC error resolves with a repair of Office 2013 run through the control panel. It has done that before. Then somehow the Word installation becomes corrupt after several mail merges using Act! to Word 2013. Any idea what could be doing the damage?