Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Won't find existing contacts when importing ACT10

Won't find existing contacts when importing ACT10

[ Edited ]
Have ACT 10 on Vista. My biggest concern was importing multiple lists, since some of the lists having the same or duplicate contacts. I tested it first with about 20 contacts. I then took the exact same list, but just left about 5 of the original names on there. When I import (from Excel which is created into a .csv) ACT keeps adding an entirely new contact when the contact is already in the database. Yes, I have checked the Tools - Preferences and even tried to only import the 3 fields that is set to check dupes...It continues to add duplicate contacts. Also, when it goes through the import wizard, under the "Contact Merge Options" only the first drop down list is available asking me if I want replace, merge, etc...All the other fields are greyed out for Notes, History, Activity, etc... What's the deal? Message Edited by wpoveromo on 02-23-2008 09:51 AM

Message Edited by wpoveromo on 02-23-2008 10:04 AM

Re: Won't find existing contacts when importing ACT10

After 2 hours on the phone I got an update but it doesn't make sense. I wanted to add some thoughts in since it regards to Last Name First Name system fields. I have been trying to import different lists, with some of them having the same contacts. Even though I have all the duplicate settings checked, it won't merge and keeps adding duplicates (support confirmed my settings). They basically told me that was that since these fields are "system fields" it wont' check them. That sounds odd since that's a pretty common way to check for duplicates. Also, the previous versions did not have this problem i.e. ACT2006. Also, these fields are listed as an option in the duplicate checking section i.e. you can select Company, then Last Name, then First Name. It does find the duplicates when I scan for duplicates, but this should be happening when I first import them.
Platinum Elite Contributor

What do you want it to do when it fins a match?
Skip it?
Replace the ACT! record with the import?
Update some fields and leave others?

For the last one, you need the itImport addon
Platinum Elite Contributor

Also, the Notes, histories, Activities fields and greyed out because you're not importing them

What did you set the Contact merge option to?