Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows could not start the SQL Server (ACT 7) on local computer.

Windows could not start the SQL Server (ACT 7) on local computer.

Have installed ACT 2012 Pro on a laptop using Windows 7.  Trying to open a database that was associated with ACT 2008 from an older laptop.   Recieved the lastest error, "Windows could not start the SQL Server (ACT 7) on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code 17113."

Any idea what that means?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Windows could not start the SQL Server (ACT 7) on local computer.

Hello Istars96,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

This error is generally due to a damaged Microsoft SQL Server installation.  Have you attempted starting the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service through Services?  

To access Services and start 'SQL Server (ACT7)':

- Click Windows Start button > enter 'services.msc' in the Search field > press Enter key. 

- In Services, locate 'SQL Server (ACT7)' > right click and select Start

Does the service start, or do you get the error?

If you get the error, try this:

- Right click on 'SQL Server (ACT7)' > select Properties

- Select 'Log On' tab

- Is 'Log on as:' option set to 'Local System Account', or does it specify 'This account:'?

If it is set to 'This account:',

- Change it to 'Local System account' (do not select 'Allow service to interact with desktop'). 

- Click OK to save and close the window

- Attempt to start the service.

If the service will now start, attempt to open the database.

If the service will not start, is there a different error? 

If it is the same error (possibly different error code), the next steps would be to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft SQL Server.  Here is an article with additional information: KB Article 29070

Greg Martin
Sage

Got through the uninstall of SQL 2008 and re-installed per the instructions.  At the Command screen at the end of the instructions, am receiving the following error:

Unsupported 16-bit Application

The program or feature "\??\c:\Program Files (x86)\Act\Act for Windows\SecurityCmdLnApp.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Contact software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Have downloaded by the 64-bit and the 32-bit/6-bit versions of SQL 2008 and recieve this error.  I have a 64-bit system on the laptop I am trying to install this on.

Also, ACT7 is linked to SQL 2005 and I can't uninstall SQL 2005.  Is that causing a problem?

Thanks!

The SQL 2005 installation could be causing an issue, are you unable to install SQL 2005 because other applications are using it or due to an error attempting to uninstall?

Just to verify: Did you copy the SecurityDmdLnApp.exe from the article and initiate it manually or did the SQL installation fail with the message?
Greg Martin
Sage

Not sure why I can't uninstall SQL 2005.  The system looks like it's going through the uninstall process but the process seems to quit when you click "uninstall".

Regarding the security.exe file, right clicking on the link in the instructions only gives me an option to "Copy Shortcut".  "Copy" is not highlighted for me to choose.  I have been been clicking on "Copy Shortcut" and pasting that as instructed.

Thanks!

Ah, ok... different browsers will have different options. 

- Internet Explorer (IE): When right clicking on the file - do you have the option 'Save Target As'?  If yes, use that option to save the file to your local system.

- Firefox: Left clicking on the file should prompt for Save.  Or right click and select 'Save Link As'.

Once saved to the computer, attempt to run it.

Note: I've updated article 25198 to address the confusing instructions.

Greg Martin
Sage

That seems to fix that error.  However, once I launch ACT 2012, and new error appears reading "The SQL Database Service is not started."

Tried to manually start the ACT7 by entering "Services.msc" in the search box and right-clicking on ACT7 to start it.  The original 17113 error appears.

Thanks!

Alright, back to it being a bad installation of the SQL... most likely to do with the SQL 2005 issue.  At this point, you'll want to try and remove ACT! SQL (2005 and 2008) completely and then reinstall. 

- Through Control Panel\Programs and Features > Uninstall ACT! and SQL 2008 (try 2005 again, just in case it works this time) and then visit this post:http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Problem-with-reinstalling-ACT-10-and-SQL-server/m-p/51060#M2689...

Note: While we don't generally get into the in-depth steps of removing SQL completely, this article has a pretty comprehensive list.

- Reboot

- Attempt install of SQL 2008 manually.  Watch for errors and ensure the SQL Server (ACT7) service starts before installing ACT!.

Greg Martin
Sage

The article referenced says to delete "MSXML 6.0 Parser".

I have the following similarly labeled files, but not the MSXML 6.0 Parser.  Should I delete these? 

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)

Thanks!

The 'MSXML 6.0 Parser' would be the only one to remove (not the 4's).
Greg Martin
Sage