Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows XP Service Pack 3 and ACT

Windows XP Service Pack 3 and ACT

Before I go and upgrade to Service Pack 3, is there any issues or glitches with it and ACT that anyone has encountered? I am using Act 2006.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 and ACT

MS have said that, unlike other Service Packs, this is bacicall just a roll up of all the patches since SP2. It doesn't add much new.

I haven't found any change with ACT! 2008

Well, I have a new HP dx2300 business line pc, with XP SP3 & Office 2007 installed with all the latest windows updates.  I tried to install ACT! 2008 Std on this system & it would hang on the initial setup...I figured it was XP SP3 causing the issues, so I rolled back to XP SP2...That did not make anything better, IE was locking up & ACT! setup would still hang...I reinstalled IE7 & now downloading XP SP2 now to reinstall that...if this doesn't work, then I will have to run a XP System Restore...

I have searched all over the web & on these forums...

Anyone else having issues??  Your input is greatly appreciated. 

Leave SP3 and try installing this way - let me know where it fails (if it does)

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10.02 full install
Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Removed all .Net 1.1, 1.1 patch, and .Net 2.0...then removed all MS XML...rebooted

Then downloaded XP SP3 (HUGE FILE)...& downloaded SQL Express 2005, and .Net 2.0...installed separately with reboots in between each installation...

FINALLY, ACT 2008 installed successfully...

Thank you for your assistance!!

Cheney

Little Rock, AR 

When that install works, it means one of the Microsoft components didn't like something on you system.

Glad it's working

Mike or anyone that can help,

I have tried this and have also uninstalled SP3 off the machine and doing all of this again.  The 10.02 patch always fails to install with a message about not enough free disk space available (58 GB Free) or that it cannot access the My Documents folder (this is redirected to the server on our network).

I have spent way too much time no this already and need to get these other users back up and running.  Any help would be appreciated.

Brandon

I've been running with XPsp3 with no issues... I suspect it's an issue with the redirected My Docs.

ACT! is trying to install the ACT!10Demo in My Docs and SQL databases have to be local.

Try and redirect it back locally and do the install