Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows Update - SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109

Platinum Elite Contributor

Windows Update - SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109

A quick heads-up:

There was a patch from MS this week for SQL Server 2005 sp2:
A security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information for this update can be found at http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/948109

I found it failed on multiple machines and operating systems (2003 Server, XP sp3 and Vista sp1) ... even the download and manual install failed.

MS said they'd heard about the issue, but didn't have a fix.

After much testing - what worked was Shutting down Windows, but selecting Install Updates and Shutdown instead of the normal Shutdown or Restart.

It applied the patch and turned off... I turned the systems back on and the patch was fine. ACT! 10.02, 10.03 and 11 all worked without problems.

Re: Windows Update - SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109

For what it is worth, this work around has failed for me.....

I was able to do the "install then shutdown", and it appeared to work fine....

On re-boot the security update no longer appeared in the "Windows Update", however I told it to "check for updates" and it again found the same SQL Server hot fix and show it still needs to be run....

Vista Home Premium, ACT 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1.

Steve K

It will happen if the Auto Update has downloaded it - you'll have the icon in the SysTray

Sorry, I'm confused.....

The auto update downloaded the hotfix..... it was waiting to install, and there was a tray icon.....

I tried the suggested fix, shutting down with the "install then shutdown" option..... I watched it appear to successfullly install and then it shut down.....

When I booted back up, the update was no longer waiting to in the auto update listing..... however, I ask the system to check again for any updates and it again found the same SQL Server hot fix and show it still needs to be run....

So when you replied "It will happen if the Auto Update has downloaded it - you'll have the icon in the SysTray", I'm confused not understanding "what" will happen if "what"

Steve K

Copper Contributor

Your workaround only seems to apply to Vista.   I'm having this same problem but am running WinXp Pro.   Any ideas?    Thanks.

I am also dealing with this.  I have Vista Business and Version 10.0.2.191.  The update installs and ACT works, but I get the "New updates are available" in the system tray icon.  It has been installed "Successfully" over 6 times.  I have done everything you've suggested Mike but it doesn't remove the notification.

On another developer forum, my son said that it's a problem that ACT! is evidently going to resolve on an update, but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

I hope this can be corrected soon!

Thanks!

Joe

Copper Elite Contributor

I'm also running WinXP Pro and the SQL update will initialize but won't install.

I suspect Microsoft might need to fix the update or that Sage can roll the update into a future patch.

But I created a new system with ACT! and ran the update and it worked without any problem... so not sure why the Microsoft update doesn't work reliably or consistently.

Any word on a fix for this update?  I have users asking me about it.  I suspect this is caused by the fact that the password for the SA account in the Act! database is not known and that domain authentication for the database has been turned off.  With this password the database could be configured to allow domain authentication and then I suspect that SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109 would succeed.  I don't see how Microsoft can provide a fix for this unless they are made away of Act!'s SA password and code it into their patch. 

The update doesn't seem to need the SA password. I have updated over 80 machines with this update now.