Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows Server Foundation, SBS 2008 and ACT! 2010

Tuned Listener

Windows Server Foundation, SBS 2008 and ACT! 2010

We currently use ACT! 2009 on a small workgroup with 3 ACT! users with an XP fileserver and Outook for email (messages directly retrieved from IMAP mail boxes).  ACT! is intergrated with Instant Accounts.

I'm looking at replacing the XP fileserver with new 'proper' server hardware running either Windows Server Foundation or possibly SBS 2008.  We have ACT! 2010 and this will be installed.  I shall either upgrade Retrospect for backup or look at Backup Exec or an Acronis solution.

Are there any 'gotchas'  that I should know about in advance or recommendations that anyone with experience of these environments can offer?  I'm wondering whether or not Server Foundation is a better bet than SBS because calendaring etc is provided by ACT, I doubt we'll need Sharepoint and I don't know if Exchange will help with email organisation (mail rules on the web server are limited) for a small group like ours.

I also want to sync my old Windows mobile phone (CE OS 5.2 - Win Mobile 6 Pro) reliably.  This will be replaced with a new phone soon, but I am not sure whether it will be another Windows phone or something else like an iPhone or Android device.I suspect that one of the third party sync programs e.g. CompanionLink will be required.

TIA

Andrew

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows Server Foundation, SBS 2008 and ACT! 2010

Because the SQL Server has the database open even when the ACT! program is closed, your backup needs to have the capability to backup open files or schedule ACT! backups to occur before the server backup and have the backup file placed in a location being backuped.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Thanks.  Currently a batch file run under Windows scheduler stops the ACT7 service before Retrospect runs and then another starts it once Retrospect completes.  I know some backup solutions allow e.g. Acronis allow you to specify pre and post commands/batch file to run.

Andrew

So can you install ACT! 2010 on Server 2008 Foundation R2? I just want to install it like a normal appication and have it shared out. Thanks.