Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows Home Server

Windows Home Server

Can anyone help?

I have windows home server to run a small office with 3 users where we store and share files from laptops which are in and out of the office all the time.  I use Act 2009 and have installed the software on WHS and it seems to work fine on that machine.  The only problem is that I can't seem to access the database from my laptop.  Any ideas how I can make this work?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows Home Server

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

It says 'The database ******* could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be neccessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server'

I can log into the server and use Act with no problems but I want to access it from my laptop and also if needs be synchromise it with the laptop so I can take the informaiton away.  I'm guessing this is a network problem and should be fixable.

Nickel Super Contributor

Make sure windows firewall is turned off on both the server and laptop.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

Thanks for that but I already tried it with no joy unfortunately.

Nickel Super Contributor

Is the database in a shared location on the server that the laptop can read/write?  From the laptop, can you go to START > Run, then type in \\<server name>\<act location folder>  

If that folder does open from the laptop, right click in it, select NEW > Text Document.  See if you can create a notepad file and save it.  This will let you know if you have "Write" capabilities to that folder.

Another troubleshoot - Can you open the local ACT! Demo database on the My Documents of the laptop? 

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

This error just means you can connect... it's usually not the firewall. There are a number of possibilities listed in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Copper Contributor

We've run ACT! 2011 on a regular computer running Windows 7 Pro with a raid 1 setup for quite a while.  Have been running with this configuration with 3 users since ACT! 2006.  Inexpensive, works just fine and simple to administer.

Just remember to run the command to shut down the SQL server before running a backup.  Other than that -- nothing to it.

Matthew.