Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows Firewall

Windows Firewall

What are the windows firewall settings that allow Act 10 network access?

I have tryed adding sql and act. This is not enough.

thanks in advance. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows Firewall

Mike,

You seem to be the guru here so I hope you can help me.

A client of mine is running a small network in his office consisting of:

Small Business Server 2003 running as a domain.

2 x laptops running Vista 32 bit Ultimate (recent purchase, upgrades from XP Pro laptops)

1 x laptop running Vista 32 bit Business

1 x PC running XP Pro

Act 10. 

Some other admin guy setup the original install of ACT 10 on the server and the 2 XP pro laptops, but apparently could never get the sharing and syncro working, so the guys just used databases locally on their laptops and backed them up to the server when they remembered.

Since the move to Vista laptops, they asked me to come in and see if I can get everything to work, so here is what I have done to date:

Note: each user has their own database

Copied each users database to their own respective user folders on the server

Deleted the old .PAD files and opened each database on the server via the .ADF files thereby creating new .PAD files.

Opened up the Server firewall and added the ACT and sqlserver files to the exceptions list

Added the same files to the exception list on each users Windows firewall settings.

On trying to open the databases I always copped the "No access to this database. please check security settings etc blah blah.

Turned off the firewall on all machines and still could not access the databases.

I may add here that I have tried every possible knowledge base article I could find on the ACT site on no access, firewll issues etc. 

So I brought my laptop in running Vista 32 bit Business, logged in with changing my workgroup name to match the domain name just so I could access their network. Installed ACT 10 on my laptop, added the two exceptions to my Windows Firewall and tried to access the databases. All opened up as they should.

My question is what other settings would a domain have that could block access to the  databases, as it appears that logging into the domain blocks access, whereas logging in as a workgroup allows the databases to open as they should.

I have spent days on this and am still scratching my head. Probably staring at me but I am all fogged at the moment. Any ideas?

Thanks

Greg 

All the usual solutions for this are in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4ow3lg

From you description, it could be a permissions issue.

Once you have solved that, you should merge the databases and set up the network share as per http://tinyurl.com/4ubx3k

Then set up sync as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3uxbj5

Thanks Mike,

but I've followed all those.

Why can I log in from my laptop as a workgroup user only (with no special permissions ) and open the databases (all relevant directories are shared with Everyone having full control) yet the guys who actually log into the domain (both are admins) cannot open the databases. All other shared databases such as MYOB, and an older version of Quickbooks can be opened without any issues. It's just ACT that has it's knickers in a twist.

I must admit I've never struck anything like this in my time in I T.

Thanks again

Greg 

Are you using the same PAD files?

Are they trying to open PAD files on their local machines or on the server?

Can you open the databases when on the server?

The other apps are just file-sharing. ACT!, using SQL, is quite different.

The PAD files I'm using are the ones generated by ACT itself when opening  on the server. As I mentioned, I deleted any existing PAD files , opened each database via the ADF files which recreated the PAD files.

The issue is I'm sure something to do with domain user access, as I can open each database from my laptop purley logged in to the workgroup not domain. (I didn't want to creat a domain connection through my laptop just yet, although it might be the easiest way to test my theory).

The clients are opening the ACT program on their respective machines and from the "Open Databse" link browsing through the network to their respective user folders and attempting to open the database from the PAD files the server created.

This is how I opened them with no issues.

The databases open fine on the server. 

Regards

Greg 

[ Edited ]

So, everyone is opening the PAD from the server database folder?

You might try copying it locally to the workstations, sometimes, it's better that way.

Also, you might try changing the IP and database setting to use the Server IP address as per the PAD File Issues section in this article - http://tinyurl.com/3wplb8

If this works, then WINS is not being correctly propegated on the domain

Have you also checked the versions in Help | about to be sure they all are the same?

Message Edited by GLComputing on 06-02-2008 04:47 PM

Ok Mike,

I'll give those options a try tomorrow when I'm back there. I'll post back the results

Thanks

Greg 

G'day Mike,

The results are the same unfortunately. I moved the PAD file to client's own machine, and it still won't load up. I altered the PAD file to utilise the IP address not hostname and same result. No access to database.

I logged into their network with my laptop via their domain name but setup as a workgroup name, and opened the database each time without fail, with the above alterations and the original. It must be a domain permissions issue but I've checked absolutely everywhere and as they are both set as administrators with full control on every file and folder, I'm not sure where else to look.

Any other suggestions other than burn it :-)

Regards

Greg