Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 8 and SQL server question

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 and SQL server question

So, I made the leap to windows 8. I am loving it so far and was really excited to try out the next OS from Windows. However, I failed to do my homework before hand regarding ACT. I have ACT 2013 and SQL 2005. SQL 2005 is incompattible with Windows 8. So, my question is this:

If I install an updated SQL server that works with windows 8, I am going to loose all of my data, or will that be converted when I updgrade SQL. I appologize if this has been answered somewhere else, but from my research I wasn't able to find a satisfactory answer.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author zacclay
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows 8 and SQL server question

[ Edited ]

Hello zacclay,
First, know that ACT! 2013 is not yet supported on Windows 8 untl Service Pack 1 releases (target is January). However, for the most part users are saying that 2013 runs fine on W8. The best way for you is:
- Uninstall ACT! and SQL Server through Programs and Features in the Control Panel
- Reboot
- Do a full reinstall using your ACT! 2013 installation disk or download. This will reinstall ACT! and SQL 2008 R2 SP1 and properly connect them

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author zacclay
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello zacclay,
First, know that ACT! 2013 is not yet supported on Windows 8 untl Service Pack 1 releases (target is January). However, for the most part users are saying that 2013 runs fine on W8. The best way for you is:
- Uninstall ACT! and SQL Server through Programs and Features in the Control Panel
- Reboot
- Do a full reinstall using your ACT! 2013 installation disk or download. This will reinstall ACT! and SQL 2008 R2 SP1 and properly connect them

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Astute Commentator

And I won't loose my data?

Silver Contributor

No, your data is not affected by an uninstall reinstall.  ACT 2013 uses sql 2008r2. I"m not sure where the 2005 came from.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

[ Edited ]

No, your data should be just fine. If you want to be sure, then make a copy of your database files (.adf, .alf, database files folder) and put them in a different directory. Unfortunately you can't make an ACT! backup due to SQL 2005 not working, but copying the files is the next best thing.

Greig Hollister