Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 7 64 bit and Act 2009

Windows 7 64 bit and Act 2009

I just purchased a new Dell with the new Windows 7 64bit.  Is it going to work with ACT 2009?
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Windows 7 64 bit and Act 2009

While Act! 2009 has not been certified on the Windows7 operating system, we have had great success installing and running Act! 2009 on it.  And Act! 2009 is 64bit compatible.

Only Act! 2010 has been certified and is fully supported on a Windows7 operating system.  Our support team will troubleshoot Act! 2009 on a Windows7 operating system until it is deemed to be an operating system specific issue.

Greg Martin
Sage

I am an Act 2009 user and have recently upgraded from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. Since the upgrade I have been unable to get back into Act as the program tells me that it cannot connect to the database noting the probability of firewall issues. Since my ACT database is not set up to access any resources outside of the physical box that the program and the database are housed in I have a real issue understanding this error message. Any suggestions?
Platinum Super Contributor

Bronze Super Contributor

Pirehm123 -

Even though you are only dealing with one PC, the reason that this can be an issue is that the Act! application is a client/server system.  So, you in essence have two programs sitting on your PC - The Act! application - what you look at on the screen - and the database engine - the program in the background that 'serves' up the data that the application requests for view.

As an easy check, completely turn off your Win7 firewall and see if act will then open.  If it does, than you know that this is indeed the issue.  Check out help.act.com and run a search on configuring Windows firewall for Act! 2009.  Keep in mind that since Win7 is not certified for 2009, the instructions will be for vista, but is should be pretty much the same if not identical.

Could you please provide details or direction on what you have done to successfully install on Window 7 64-bit systems.  Thus far we have not been able to find a solution and the install locks or hangs on the SQL installation process.

I have the same system, Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit).  I got my copy of Act2009 to load with no issues.  I can create databases, etc. no problem.

Here is my issue.  The old computer, a small Dell laptop, crashed and fortunately I have my data backed up in a back-up (aipped) file on another drive.  But try as I can, there appears to be NO way to get that data.  It's the same program that created the data but for some reason, when I try and bring it in, it fails.

I get an error message saying the ,bac file is formatted incorrectgly.  

Any thoughts?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you doing a Restore or a Restore As. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Tried both. No luck.
Also, I tried the update and it says there is an update available but when I click on it, it pops up a message that you must be an administrator to get the update. I am the only user of this laptop, and under permissions I am listed as "Administrator." I think part of my problem may be this backup was created under the new version. I did get the update on the old laptop but now that I have reinstalled this software on the new Win7 machine, Act won't let me get the update. How do I get this update? anyone have any ideas on how I can get this update? My install is Version 11.0.0.367.
Platinum Elite Contributor

On Windows 7 unless you have disabled the UAC you aren't really an administrator. You would need to right click on the ACT! icon and select Run as administrator. Got to love Microsoft.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129