08-26-2011 05:46 AM
I'm having serious issues trying to get Sage ACT! Premium 2011 installed on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I had 2009 premium, and that installed just perfectly (on this exact same machine/configuration)...so I'm not sure why 2011 is "playing up" so much!
Anyways, the things I did first were:
* I removed ACT! v2009 and SQL Server 2005 (both using Windows' Add/Remove Programs functionality)..and that went well (the first time, mind you).
* Next, I tried installing SQL Server 2008 Express (and I tried many different versions - both 32 bit [which failed to install - duh!] as well as 64 bit)...but kept getting all kinds of errors
* On one or more occassions, I was able to proceed (with SQL Server 2008 installation) by clicking the "Continue" (rather than "Quit" button, and therefore I went and ahead and tried installing Sage ACT! 2001
* One time, the SA 2011 installation completed successfully, but I wasn't able to open up any of my 2009 databases...kept getting some kind of error (can't remember what it said though). Yeah, this has been going on for more than 2 days now!!!
* I then removed both SA 2011 and SQL Server 2008 and tried installing SA 2009 with SQL Server 2005 (just to ensure that there was no system setting/virus/trojan that might have been causing things to not work well for SA v2011 and/or SQL Server 2008.....but the older version installed just perfectly)
* So then I thought...maybe I should just do an "upgrade"...rather than a fresh/new installation. SQL Server 2008 got installed/upgraded just fine (and sat alongside its 2005 version)..however SA 2001 complained that I need to first remove the older version (i.e. 2009) before I could install v2011. However, when I went into Add/Remove Programs I could not see an entry for SA 2009. So I thought, maybe I should just delete all files/folders from the directory...and that should work...but No, that didn't do anything at all...just kept getting the same error, saying that there was an older version of ACT!, which I needed to remove using the A/R Programs function.
* So this is where I now stand: I have SQL Server 2008 installed properly (I hope)...but I cannot get SA 2001 to install since I have no idea how/where to remove the older version from (probably something in the registry, I'm guessing)
Any help to get this issuse resolved (and put to bed) will be greatly appreciated.
08-26-2011 06:40 AM
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!
Sorry to hear about your issues, but to help with the installation - you can clean up the previous installation by using the ACTUninstaller utility, found in this article: KB Article 19338.
The uninstall utility will not touch SQL.
08-26-2011 11:14 AM
Thanks Greg....for your suggestion.
As it turns out, I found a KB article which explains how to manually delete a Sage ACT! + SQL Server installation (I think it was specific to removing SA v 2011 and/or v2012, but I used some common senese - and 20+ years of IT experience - to apply it against v2009, and ignoring the SQL Server instructions) ....and after completing the instructions listed there I was able to get SA 2011 installed and working perfectly - even with my v2009 databases.
Woo Hoo!!! Oh Man!!! What a journey this has been!!! But now I feel like I can achieve anything :-)