Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 7 (64 bit) Installation/Upgrade Issues - Plenty...and driving me crazy

Windows 7 (64 bit) Installation/Upgrade Issues - Plenty...and driving me crazy

Hi All,

I'm having serious issues trying to get Sage ACT! Premium 2011 installed on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I had 2009 premium, and that installed just perfectly (on this exact same machine/configuration)...so I'm not sure why 2011 is "playing up" so much!

Anyways, the things I did first were:

*  I removed ACT! v2009 and SQL Server 2005 (both using Windows' Add/Remove Programs functionality)..and that went well (the first time, mind you).

*   Next, I tried installing SQL Server 2008 Express (and I tried many different versions - both 32 bit [which failed to install - duh!] as well as 64 bit)...but kept getting all kinds of errors

*   On one or more occassions, I was able to proceed (with SQL Server 2008 installation) by clicking the "Continue" (rather than "Quit" button, and therefore I went and ahead and tried installing Sage ACT! 2001

*   One time, the SA 2011 installation completed successfully, but I wasn't able to open up any of my 2009 databases...kept getting some kind of error (can't remember what it said though). Yeah, this has been going on for more than 2 days now!!!

*   I then removed both SA 2011 and SQL Server 2008 and tried installing SA 2009 with SQL Server 2005 (just to ensure that there was no system setting/virus/trojan that might have been causing things to not work well for SA v2011 and/or SQL Server 2008.....but the older version installed just perfectly)

*  So then I thought...maybe I should just do an "upgrade"...rather than a fresh/new installation. SQL Server 2008 got installed/upgraded just fine (and sat alongside its 2005 version)..however SA 2001 complained that I need to first remove the older version (i.e. 2009) before I could install v2011. However, when I went into Add/Remove Programs I could not see an entry for SA 2009. So I thought, maybe I should just delete all files/folders from the directory...and that should work...but No, that didn't do anything at all...just kept getting the same error, saying that there was an older version of ACT!, which I needed to remove using the A/R Programs function.

*   So this is where I now stand: I have SQL Server 2008 installed properly (I hope)...but I cannot get SA 2001 to install since I have no idea how/where to remove the older version from (probably something in the registry, I'm guessing)

Any help to get this issuse resolved (and put to bed) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Windows 7 (64 bit) Installation/Upgrade Issues - Plenty...and driving me crazy

Hello Gordon,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Sorry to hear about your issues, but to help with the installation - you can clean up the previous installation by using the ACTUninstaller utility, found in this article: KB Article 19338.

The uninstall utility will not touch SQL.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Windows 7 (64 bit) Installation/Upgrade Issues - Plenty...and driving me crazy

Thanks Greg....for your suggestion.

As it turns out, I found a KB article which explains how to manually delete a Sage ACT! + SQL Server installation (I think it was specific to removing SA v 2011 and/or v2012, but I used some common senese - and 20+ years of IT experience - to apply it against v2009, and ignoring the SQL Server instructions) ....and after completing the instructions listed there I was able to get SA 2011 installed and working perfectly - even with my v2009 databases.

Woo Hoo!!! Oh Man!!! What a journey this has been!!! But now I feel like I can achieve anything :-)

Later.

Gordon

Platinum Super Contributor

No replacement for experience! Glad to hear you were able to resolve it.
Greg Martin
Sage