Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 64-bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

Nickel Super Contributor

Windows 64-bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

[ Edited ]
Since we have gotten so many questions on this topic, I wanted to post this link for users that would like more information.

ACT! 2009 has been released and will support Windows 64bit in the following operating systems:

Windows Server 2008

Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Vista

More information can be found here:

http://www.act.com/2009/system/

Message Edited by dlunceford on 08-14-2008 03:10 PM

Re: Windows 64-bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

That's all nice and well formatted but hey guys, IT'S APRIL, 2008!

Customers are looking to deploy new servers, server 2008. They don't want to deploy x32 just because Sage hasn't caught up. Your forcing customers to either keep old servers up and running or buy a new server just for your database while buying another server x86 for Exchange and other applications.

Sure the desktop is still ruled by x32 but come on let's get the database ported to SQL Express 08, Server 08 and x64 already!

"No substantial benefits for end users."
How about not having to buy new server software and/or hardware? That would be a benefit Smiley Wink

There is one big benefit of 64 bit - being able to add memory over 4GB.  For those of us that do more then just look up contacts in Act! that's a huge benefit.  Great benefit for any photo, publishing, or video work.

Re: Windows 64 Bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

Ok along this topic of 64 bit: We have over 2300 contacts on Act. It is almost painful to try & do a look up in a reasonable amount of time. We upgraded our RAM on the 32 bit system and the more we RAM we added the more ACT takes. So the IT guys sets up the 64 bit  server and everyone is raving about how well the system runs our other large databases. After all, that is one of the best features of a 64 bit machine is the way it utilizes ram. I would have thought that Sage would have jumped on this right away, especially since ACT does require a lot of RAM and databases do get big. But now we are looking for an alternate contact management program that will run on a 64 bit machine. Sage has not given us a choice!
Bronze Super Contributor

Which version of ACT! are you using.  With only 2300 Contacts there should be only a short delay, even with 32-bit OS.  Perhaps it hasn't been implemented correctly.  Many of my clients have over 10K Contacts with sub-second lookup delay.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Platinum Elite Contributor

samwifi wrote:
There is one big benefit of 64 bit - being able to add memory over 4GB.  For those of us that do more then just look up contacts in Act! that's a huge benefit.  Great benefit for any photo, publishing, or video work.

The big issue is that MS actually require a different Edition of SQL for 64-bit... and chanrge more for it.

I have heard that Sage are working on testing with 64-bit SQL to see if they can add the different Edition.

Platinum Elite Contributor

mainst wrote:
Ok along this topic of 64 bit: We have over 2300 contacts on Act. It is almost painful to try & do a look up in a reasonable amount of time. We upgraded our RAM on the 32 bit system and the more we RAM we added the more ACT takes. So the IT guys sets up the 64 bit  server and everyone is raving about how well the system runs our other large databases. After all, that is one of the best features of a 64 bit machine is the way it utilizes ram. I would have thought that Sage would have jumped on this right away, especially since ACT does require a lot of RAM and databases do get big. But now we are looking for an alternate contact management program that will run on a 64 bit machine. Sage has not given us a choice!

Actually, ACT! and SQL, unless using the Premium ST version, will only use a max of 1GB RAM. You can set min/max RAM in ACTDIAG.

If you have 2GB+ RAM on the workstations (4GB+ on server) and it's slow, it's probably the HDD speed.

Microsoft's .Net and SQL really respond well to faster drives. I recommend 7200 RPM as a minimum but 10K or faster will give a big bump in performance.

Copper Contributor

I just wanted to add agreement to the other posters.  We're not able to get Act off of our terminal server because our SQL server is 64 bit.  It's a real pain to not be able to use Act on our new server.

But I suspect, it will all of a sudden work fine in the next version of Act... just a hunch.

The big issue is that MS actually require a different Edition of SQL for 64-bit... and chanrge more for it

This is interesting because as an Open License SQL Server buyer I buy a license for the full version and can use it to install either 32 or 64 bit.