Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Windows 10 update and Act!

Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 update and Act!

I had the same thing happen to me. My database would not open and asked for a password. I called a local ACT agent and he too did not know what the solution might be. We both caved and I shut my computer down. The next day, after booting my notebook back up again I decided to open ACT one more time, just for the heck of it. I was asked which database I wanted to open, the Demo or the database which I created several years ago. I clicked on my database and magically it opened without the need to enter a password. The only issue I now have is that upon exiting out of ACT I get the following error message: "Object reference not set on instance of an object". I click on the "X" on the top right or the "close" box and the message goes away. What does that message mean anyway and what is the fix?

I have the same issue, but it also comes up when I click on a email address to send. The "Object reference not set on instance of an object" comes up and the Outlook email will not come up.

I have looked but have not found any reference to this message. I have Windows 10 and Outlook 2007.

ACT seems to be working OK now.  Although, I am having the same issue upon exiting.   I get the following error message: "Object reference not set on instance of an object". I click on the "X" on the top right or the "close" box and the message goes away. Does anyone know what this message means and what is the fix? 

Copper Super Contributor

Can't open ACT pro 2013 in Win 10  get this--act.JPGI'm not on a network--I'm standalone.

Copper Contributor

Try to open act as an administrator

Copper Contributor

Looks like the folks at ACT also do not know how to fix subject message (Object reference not set on instance of an object).  I have received a couple of different e-mails from ACT tech support with copies of various bulletins that pertain to this message but none apply to the Windows 10 upgrade issue.  Looks like we will live with this error message for a while.

Copper Super Contributor

done that--doesn't change anything.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Most likely the ACT! instance of the SQL server isn't started. Check to see if it's started.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

How do you check that in Windows 10? It was easy in Windows 7.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Same as in W7. Start services.msc and find the SQL Server (ACT7) and make sure it's auto and started.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org