Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 update and Act!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Windows 10 update and Act!

Is there a version of Act! that will work on Windows 10?

From what I understnd, the Windows 10 update can't be stopped. So, if my computer updates the OS will Act! work? I have Act! Pro 2013.

I've searched the Act! community and found a couple of posts that say Act! won't work on Windows 10 but I find it hard to believe Swiftpage would leave their users high and dry. 

If there's a way to stop Windows from updating, please advise.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author AnnLincoln
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Windows 10 update and Act!

You have to request an upgrade.  If you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8 the upgrade is free and you probably have a box on the status bar asking you if you want to upgrade.  You still have to tell it to upgrade you though.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Super Contributor

You don't have to upgrade to Windows 10 if you don't want to.  If you do upgrade to Windows 10 and you are using the Home version then Windows 10 will update automatically once it is installed.  That is currently causing some problems so it is possible that Microsoft will change that policy in the near future.

As far as Act! is concerned I haven't had any issues running Act! versions that will work on Windows 8 on Windows 10.  I suspect that Act! 2013 would probably work just fine for you on Windows 10.  I would reocmmend holding off on the upgrade to Windows 10 for a couple of months and then seeing what other people post about running Act! on Windows 10 in the forums just to be on the safe side.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Thanks for the speedy reply and good advice.

I was under the impression that Windows would upgrade to 10 automatically. 

Ann

Solution
Accepted by topic author AnnLincoln
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Super Contributor

You have to request an upgrade.  If you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8 the upgrade is free and you probably have a box on the status bar asking you if you want to upgrade.  You still have to tell it to upgrade you though.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.  I am running ACT Pro v16 on my personal desktop.

When I opened ACT, it asks for a database name.  I have 2 databases.  When I select either, it asks for user name and password.  I don't remember setting up user names and passwords for my databases so it won't open either of them.  I have tried everything I normally use.

I also tried to restore from a zip backup but it asks for the same user name and password.

Any suggestions?

Silver Super Contributor

Try your name with no password.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

wellmet wrote:

You don't have to upgrade to Windows 10 if you don't want to.  If you do upgrade to Windows 10 and you are using the Home version then Windows 10 will update automatically once it is installed.  That is currently causing some problems so it is possible that Microsoft will change that policy in the near future.

I believe Microsoft have a strong benevolent interest in getting to machines that are seldom if ever updated to improve overall internet computer security, getting them patched whether you like it ot not.  It is an endeavour to reduce DoS (denial of service) attacks that use a multiude of insecure PCs that are cloned as a DoS resource. I'd be surprised to see Microsoft change there position on that. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Silver Super Contributor

I predict that it will default to on but you'll be able to turn it off.  We'll see.  I haven't looked to see if it's already in there.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

I have tried every configuration possible including no password. No luck!
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have ACT version 16.2 that ran fine with Windows 7. I just downloaded Windows 10 and am now told that the SQL Server is not running. In Windows 7 I used the SQL configuration app to easily change it to run. Is there a way to make the SQL run with Windows 10?