Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Windows 10 update and Act!

Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 update and Act!

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Things have moved on since my email, although I am still in the throws of resolving my issues.

I was able to succeed in getting the v17 Act on my new computer, quite by luck.

Was able to copy over old Act program converting it for compatibility and then copying over the newer v17 program. 

This seems to work a runaround the problematic direct confrontation of trying to simply activate the v17 program onto a Windows 10, which it seems to me doesn't work.

Onto my current issue.  After the above success and fighting it out, I screwed up by terminating an overwrite of my database that I decided wasn't such a good idea.  So on my old computer my database is no longer functional.  I had a back-up copy, but when trying to either import or restore it, I get error messages indicating it can't connect to it.  I shut off my firewall, but think perhaps the problem is that my c drive and external backup drive are encrypted.  I am now in the process of decrypting these drives.  Do you think this is the problem?

Also, can copy the back up file onto my new computer.  Do you know of a way to install this directly and by-passing the need to move the file from the existing Act on my old computer to the new one.

thanks for any specific suggestions/input you can provide.  Once my drives are decrypted I'll  try again, and if that fails I'm hoping tech support at act would be able to get it done.

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi mbkessler,

Is your backup from your other machine in zip format, taken directly from a backup out of Act? If so, what is the exact error that is displayed when you try to restore the backup on the new machine?

Encryption could be the problem. I would suggest trying again when it's unencrypted.

I would strongly suggest having your database local to your machine, or if you're sharing the database, local to the server.

If you do run into any problems, our support team are here to help.
Highlighted

Hi Gary,

Thanks.  It will be another bunch of hours before my drives are decrypted, so I'll update you once I've given it another try post decryption.

Miles

Highlighted

Have been using ACT 2013, but the latest 6/16/2017 Windows 10 update has messed it up. In the past after an update restarting several times has fixed the issue, but this time it's not working. Anyone else having issues?

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi SMAlber,

Please can you describe the problem you're experiencing in detail? If you are getting any error messages, please post them in full.

It's worth noting that Act! 2013 is not listed as being compatible with Windows 10. This means that the software is not guaranteed to run on this operating system. For the full compatibility listings, see this page: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

Highlighted

My new HP laptop's hard drive crashed in April.  Since restoring programs have not been able to get Act! to properly integrate with office 365 business outlook program.  Swiftpage said it's caused by a defect in a Windows update in mid April.  When I installed the fix provided by Act support it totally wrecked my Windows program and I couldn't get various other programs to work as well.  I reinstalled Windows which fixed that, but I am still unable to have Act integrate with Outlook.  Extremely frustrating.

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi mbkessler,

There are currently known issues with recent updates to Microsoft Office as you've mentioned. The solution is to revert office to a stable version that allows the Act! integration to work correctly. If the process is successful, you should end up on Office version 16.0.4229.

To ensure this works, please do the following:

1. In Outlook, click File
  2. Click Account
  3. Click Update Options
  4. Click Disable Updates, and confirm
  5. Then from the Attachments section of this Knowledgebase article, download and save the 2016_Office_UpdateTo16.0.4229.bat file
  6. Right-click the 2016_Office_UpdateTo16.0.4229.bat file and choose Run as Administrator to begin the downgrade Microsoft Outlook to build 16.0.4229.0.
  7. Open Outlook and check the version to confirm the downgrade completed successfully.

After this has been done, you should be able to integrate Act! with Outlook.

Highlighted
Skilled Commentator

Hi Gary, The reverting didn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Mark,

When you say it didn't work for you, what did you observe? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted
Skilled Commentator

I was able to turn off the auto updates in Outlook 365.  I ran the bat file.  An Office update windows popped up and said it was updating it took a while.  Then it said it updated it to the latest version? I check the version, 16.0.8201.2102.  Then I check Act to see if I could integrate anyway - nope.