Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 update and Act! db no longer accessible

Windows 10 update and Act! db no longer accessible

Windows 10 just did a major update on my pc.  I cannot access my db, but can access the demo db.  The error message I get is "The database xxxxx could not be accessed.  ....."   All services for Act are running.  SQL services are running.  The db is on a local machine.  Windows 10.  Act 16.3.1.11  Hotfix 1. 

Administrator

Re: Windows 10 update and Act! db no longer accessible

Hi Floor Guy,

Please can you post the whole error message, as there are a few different cases where errors can include "database x could not be accessed".

Did you update from an older version of Windows (i.e. Windows 8) to Windows 10, or was it an in-version update?

Please be aware that Act v16 is not listed as being compatible with Windows 10, and therefore not supported. Full compatibility info can be found in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

HI, there.  I did a full uninstall and reinstall, and everything is fine now.  Yes, I understand that it is not fully supported, and I'm not sure why.  I've never had any problem with Act prior to this with Win10.

Platinum Elite Contributor

It's Windows 10 and the fact that they eliminated a significant amount to legacy support that was used by earlier version of the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am new to the community and have the same problem.  My laptop Lenovo Yoga was purchased new with windows 10 already installed.  My computer installed an update of windows 10 yesterday and now I cannot open any of my 5 personal databases.  I have tried to open all of the databases and get the same error message each time.

1.  Error message:  The database "Act -------" could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your database network connection, and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewalll software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.

2.  I have Act Pro V16

3.  Windows 10 Home  64 bit.

My databases are on my personal computer and are not to a network.  They should be easy to open.  Please advise how to open..   I cannot access my help files either  I would prefer not having to do a complete reinstall.   

Thanks  wfremer  305-607-0588

Administrator

Hi wfremer,

How did you move the databases to the new laptop? Did you take backups of the databases and move them from the old location?
I would suggest checking you have followed the correct backup and restore procedures as detailed in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19211

Dear Gary,

My Act program and my databases were working fine on my new Lenovo  for 6 months.  

My problems developed when the new windows 10 update was automatically downloaded to it.  In the past if windows would do an update and cause problems all I would have to do is go to restore and restore to a date prior to the download.   I can't do this with this update because it also got rid of my old restore points when it updated.  I have no prior updates.  I also would have a problem trying to use my Act backups. if I use them as they are not current.   I used Act when I was working but am now retired and don't back up as often as I used too.

Any suggestions?

based on the error message you provided, I'd recommend the following article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

Most likely your data is still in tact, it's just that the database engine (Microsoft SQL Server) required to run the databases is not started and needs to be started. 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

FYI.   Your were right the SQL server (Act7) was not started.   I went to article 38181 and looked for any sql services that were not enabled in services.msc.   The only one that was not enabled was for a network connection so I enabled it.    The other SQLS. were all enabled before I got there..   

I started my Act program and was able to open all of my personal databases.   They all worked fine except for one thing,  When I looked at my database names  they all showed that I could share them as if I was on a network.   I changed that setting to unshared on all the databases and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks for all your help.

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com