Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Windows 10 compatibility

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor
Posts: 3,118
Country: USA

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Sam,

There are numerous ACT KBs that address the error that Phillip is showing. One of the KBs 36939 states the cause of this error is unknown but shows a work around.

Not sure if this helps but....
Best Regards,
Terry Williams
TMW Consulting
Sacramento, CA
tmwilli@tmwconsulting.net
916 396-4302
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor
Posts: 1,779
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

[ Edited ]

Followed the KB 36939 and changed the values from 3 to 9 which made no difference. Still get the same error when trying to open the Documents tab.


David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Country: Indonesia

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

try to attache a foder, it did work for me then i try a file and crash??philippe

 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Posts: 22
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Hi, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using ACT! 16.2.14. After the upgrade it would not open the database, BUT if you did a restore of a backup db then it worked fine.

 

Fortunately I did this on a test PC, so when I did the transfer on the production PC I backed up the db first and then just did a db restore and it all worked as before.

 

So the trick is to create a backup of your database before the migration up to Windows 10.

 

Hopefully this will help some of the people migrating to Windows 10.

 

Siggi 

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor
Posts: 1,512
Country: USA

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

There are definitely permissions issues with databases stored in My Docs after upgrading to Win 10.  We've dealt with 2 clients this morning having this issue.  SQL is running but they get the error "The database dbname could not be accessed..."  An obvious clue to this issue is that they are getting the logon prompt when opening Act!.  If SQL were not running then they would not even be prompted for a user/password.  Additionally, in ACTDIAG the databases are in showing a status of RECOVERY.  To fix this we stopped SQL, added Everyone with Full Control to the security for the Databases folder, and started SQL.  There's probably a way to be more precise with the permissions but both of these were standalone users who don't share their PCs with others.  

-----------
Marshall Knapp
AspenTech CRM
Act! Certified Consultants & Premier Trainers
Swiftpage Business Partner - Platinum Level
866-880-4ACT (4228)
www.aspen-tech.com
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 86
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Windows 10 compatibility


@jamin wrote:

Dear Sam,,

When I try to use act template mergin with word I have the following error;

Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft. office.Interop.Word.ApplicationClass' to interface type'microsoft.office.interop.word._Appication' This operation failed because the queryInterface call on the COM component for the interface ID"(ooo20970-0000-0000-c000-00000000046') The RPC server is unnavailable ..... same as reported before

My Office is Microsoft office home & business 2013 version 15.0.4737.1003

hope it helps

regards

Philippe


Hi Philippe, this error is a very difficult one for us to offer a direct solution on. To give you a little background, we've only seen it occur on Windows 8 / 10 machines that use Office 2013 and have previously had Act! v16 installed before being upgraded to v17. The error only occurs for a small amount of customers and we have yet to be able to replicate it here. Any machine that has never had Act! on before and has v17 installed directly (no upgrade) then the issue shouldn't occur.
Unfortunately for those already affected we don't have a direct fix, but we do have some things that seem to work and failing that some workarounds.
Please refer to these KB's first:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32802
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23311
If this doesn't solve the issue, the easiest workaround is to simply open a blank Word document before opening Act! and then all of the merge functionality should work. Failing that, please refer to the following KB:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36939

 


@tmwilli wrote:
Sam,

There are numerous ACT KBs that address the error that Phillip is showing. One of the KBs 36939 states the cause of this error is unknown but shows a work around.

Not sure if this helps but....

 

Hi Terry, you're quite right. Please see above.

 

 


@dshaw111 wrote:

Followed the KB 36939 and changed the values from 3 to 9 which made no difference. Still get the same error when trying to open the Documents tab.


 

 Hi David, please read the guide carefully. This guide is nothing to do with the documents tab error and I wouldn't expect it to resolve the issue. Changing these registry keys to 9 is a fix for the COM class error Philippe was receiving when trying to mail merge. By changing these keys to 9 you've likely disabled your ability to create/edit mail merge templates on that machine.

 

 


@ingassos wrote:

Hi, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using ACT! 16.2.14. After the upgrade it would not open the database, BUT if you did a restore of a backup db then it worked fine.

 

Fortunately I did this on a test PC, so when I did the transfer on the production PC I backed up the db first and then just did a db restore and it all worked as before.

 

So the trick is to create a backup of your database before the migration up to Windows 10.

 

Hopefully this will help some of the people migrating to Windows 10.

 

Siggi 


 

Hi Siggi, please note Act! v16 is untested on Windows 10 and is not supported by us. We have seen these symptoms on several upgrades now and usually restarting the SQL service fixes it, or by restarting the PC. We believe it may be because SQL Server 2008 R2 is unsupported on Windows 10 and therefore suffers from compatibility issues. This is under investigation.

 

 


@mknapp wrote:

There are definitely permissions issues with databases stored in My Docs after upgrading to Win 10.  We've dealt with 2 clients this morning having this issue.  SQL is running but they get the error "The database dbname could not be accessed..."  An obvious clue to this issue is that they are getting the logon prompt when opening Act!.  If SQL were not running then they would not even be prompted for a user/password.  Additionally, in ACTDIAG the databases are in showing a status of RECOVERY.  To fix this we stopped SQL, added Everyone with Full Control to the security for the Databases folder, and started SQL.  There's probably a way to be more precise with the permissions but both of these were standalone users who don't share their PCs with others.  


 

Hi Marshall, I think that you're definitely on the right track, we also suspect that Windows 10 is failing to inherit permissions from the previous OS. However due to the complex nature of this situation this is currently undergoing investigation.

 

 

Thanks all for letting us know, this is all valuable information. I am passing all of this feedback to our development team and will keep you updated as soon as I know more.

 

Kindest regards,

 

Sam.

____________________________________________________________

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor
Posts: 2,119
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Would it make more sense for this thread to be moved out to the general product boards as this topic is not related to SDK development and it would gain better exposure outside of the development boards which are meant to be for SDK related discusssions?

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 86
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

[ Edited ]

This post has been moved from the developer forum to the Act! product forum for greater exposure.

 

We're reading every comment about your Windows 10 experience so please keep them coming and make sure to provide as much information as you can.

 

We will keep you updated with further information when we have some.

 

Kindest regards,

 

Sam.

____________________________________________________________

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Country: Indonesia

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Dear Sam,

I never get ACT before on this PC, I get a trial download 2 weeks ago, I have still 14 dys on my trial.

regards

Philippe

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Country: Indonesia

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Dear Sam.

When I install the window 10 I got salot of problem, I had to start acr as adminstrator, oulook sinchc was not workinf, ....

After some days most of the problem disapear, I could start act normally and no problem. Just the attche file problem stays.

Then I get the bad idea tu use the compatibility test after i di it I was back where I was when I install window with all the trouble

reagards .