Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 compatibility

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Hi bforth,

I'm running Windows 10 build 10166 with Act! Pro Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3 and I'm not having any problem. I think it's likely that your problem is with ACT not with Win 10, Best regards, David

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Act should provide an ETA on compatibility. The preview version for software developers has been out for months. Act should have its act together and have this worked out in advance. Many computers will upgrade to new version especially if one has requested the upgrade. 

I hope you guys are working hard and get it compatible this week for older and newer versions of Act!!

There's no excuse. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 compatibility - get your act together

Act should get this sorted this week IF they care about their customers! There's no excuse as there's been a beta version for developers out there for months. One shouldn't wonder why people are moving to Salesforce. 

Highlighted

Microsoft has announced the release of Windows® 10 on July 29th. Upgrading to Windows® 10 introduces many new features, some of which may affect Act!. We highly recommend performing a complete backup of your Act! database prior to upgrading Windows®, though the current version of Act! (v17) has passed initial certification. Previous versions of Act! have not been certified, but future releases of Act! will be fully tested and supported on Windows® 10.

To ensure your Act! solution stays compatible with current business applications and platforms – including Windows®, Outlook®, Google™, and more – subscribe to Act! today!
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi Guys, I've been running ACT without apparant problems on Win 10 ever since the full production version became available to Windows Insiders - I guess about 3 weeks. The only problem seems to be the perenial raggedness of the ACT software - in this instance it generates an error message on closure. It also seems to sync fine with machines running Win 7 including remotely via a VPN.

Despite the comments from ACT support I think the reality we're all facing is complacency.

Back in the ACT 6 days, before it was sold off to Sage, ACT ran as a stable stand alone application on the old Foxpro - great software.

When it went to Sage and was converted to SQLserver it was a nightmare for a number of releases - so bad we stopped using it. At the time I discussed the issues with the Microsoft SQL server team (I was in contact with them because we were "insider" users of the SQLserver data mining extensions). To sumarise their opinion of the Sage ACT implementation - "it's easier to develop on SQLserver if you first know what you are doing and also know SQLserver" - a bit harsh but if you tried the early versions of ACT on SQLserver I think you might agree they had a point.

From Sage on the problem seems to me to be an assumption that the core app is ACT and that the rest of a company's infrastructure should match what ACT needs. This is a bit like saying that we still run on a coach and horses and you shouldn't upgrade your infrstructure to cars/boats/planes/trains until we've caught up. Not realistic for most businesses!

I still like ACT but it is exceedingly frustrating that the developers seem to take an ACT centric view of the world. Beats me why the ACT development team find all this stuff so difficult - lack of resources?

If ACT 6 would run on today's hardware I'd switch back this afternoon!

Let's give the Swiftpage a bit more time to get their act (ACT) together - the product has improved since the move from SageSmiley Happy.

Here's hoping that the developers will accept that the ACT centric world view is not a viable IT model and let's hope that they get themselves hooked up to the core IT development teams so that they can in future release technology when the majors do rather than dribble something out months later.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response. What about the version 16 that I'm on?

Act! Pro Version 16.2.14.0

Highlighted

Hi David,

We would not be able to guarantee compatibility with older versions of Act!, this includes v16. They may work with Windows 10 but we currently have no plans to certify older versions.

Thanks

Mark
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

That's a fair point - no reason to support old versions of ACT on current Windows. If ACT were mission critical - for example Oracle - the support costs would reflect this.

If someone buys ACT I guess they should expect to upgrade versions along with release - we try to switch to the latest ACT within 4 weeks of release.

That said, it would be nice if ACT worked on current versions of operating systems as released rather than just on down versions.

What sort of support should one expect from Microsoft to keep ACT running on new versions of the OS if even ACT themselves won't do it.

Question of the day > when - ddmmyyy - will ACT support the current version of Windows?

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

I'm going to toss this out there, so take it as you will.

The "current" version of Windows is only 2-3 weeks old (build 10240). Can you truly expect SwiftPage to test everything out with their software to be able to certify that it'll work correctly in 2-3 weeks?

This is a developer forum, so people who frequent here are pretty tech savvy. My guess is most of them know, and follow, the adage of: wait until SP1 to upgrade. Why should Swift Page rush to certify everything for the very small handful of day 1, early adopters? I'd rather they take their time and make extra sure it is working well than rush through it.

Would it be nice if it was certified and ready? Yes. Is it understandable that it isn't? Yes. Just my two cents.
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

The non certification of many small business prodcuts with new releases of windows is not usual. Another common small business product that waits after a windows release to certify a current version is Intuit's QuickBooks. They too wait until the final release of windows to complete testing of compatibility. And many people seem to have forgotten the nightmares created by WINDOWS ME and Windows VIsta.

Best Regards,
Terry Williams
TMW Consulting
Sacramento, CA
tmwilli@tmwconsulting.net
916 396-4302