Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 compatibility

Windows 10 compatibility

Has anyone tried running the current Act! Pro Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 1 on the latest Windows 10 build 10.0.10074.0.fbl_impressive.150424-1350?

We are planning to upgrade our PCs to Windows 10 around release date + 1 month and I need to assess whether it will be safe to upgrade the machines with Act! 17 or whether I'll have to continue to run Act! on Windows 7 until I can select a replacement for Act!

Thanks in advance for any information

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Unfortunately, Microsoft have been known to make last minute changes that effect compatibility when they release new versions.

So, that question can't be answered until after proper testing has been conducted with the final release of Windows 10, which might take a month or two

This is what I've just got back from Swiftpage tech support:

>>>

Thank you for your Email to Act Technical Support.

Our next release is still in testing at the moment but we are testing this with Windows 10 betas & it will definitely be supported on Windows 10.  At the moment we don't know when this will be released or what it will be called.  We are unsure at the moment whether there will be a service pack released for version 17 or whether it will be just the next release that is supported.

<<<

I'm feeling very cautious because I can remember how successful previous updates have been accomodated by Act - remember the switch from Foxpro to SQLserver!

I'm in the Windows 10 tech insider program so I guess the best thig will be to update a pc and see what happens. With luck I'll have time to do this today and I'll post the results when I have some.

One possible issue is hat there are parts of Act! tat use Internet Explorer, which has been dropped in Win10, for the new browser

[ Edited ]

I've now got Act! 17.1.69.0 Hot Fix 1 running under Windows 10 build 10074.

It's too early to say that everything works but the basics, including synchronisation, seem OK and it seems able to connect to Outlook 2010.

Only obvious issue is that on closing Act! the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" is popped by Act!. Anyone got any ideas where this might be coming from?

Re your point about IE Mike, Act! seems quite happy in the new environment. Clicking on a web link within a contact record cleanly opens the correct page in a Project Spartan window. (BTW I tried the Project Spartan browser against our responsive  French mortgage website bestfrenchmortgage.com and it seems to handle responsiveness very well)

[ Edited ]

Latest on this is that we now have Act 17 SP1 up to HotFix 3 running under Windows 10 build 10122.

The only so far identified issue isthe error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on close.

We have also tested in a VPN environment using Hamachi 2.2.0.328 and this seems stable.

How about links ... like any of the links on the Welcome screen. What browser do they open in?

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

I've just tried this for you.

Welcome Page > News & Resources > 5 reasons to use automated e-mail

OPENS IN > IE 11.0.10011.0 with a second tab explaining that there is a new Win 10 browser called Microsoft Edge which is the new name for Projectt Spartan. Page appears to be rendered same as IE 10

Copying the URL from IE 11 and pasting into Spartan renders the page correctly.

Welcome page> Feature tours opens in IE 11

Welcome page>Knowledge base opens in IE 11 but renders differently (more elegant).

Conclusion - maybe IE 11 and Spartan/Edge are functionally very close to each other most obvious differences are simpler (stripped down) presentation and repositioned search bar.

Mike, if you have something specific you're trying to test let me know and I'll try and test it for you,

D

Databases will not open in windows 10 built 10166 anybody got ideas?

Brian

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Brian,

I'm not aware of any reasons why this would not work.

What exactly is happening? Do you get an error?

I would warn you that we don't support Windows 10 yet so any advice I can give is limited.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.