Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 compatibility

Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Point taken -- however progress updates aren't out of the question. They don't need to be "down in the weeds" -- and could include issues such as those you mention. Reasonable people understand that this can and does take time -- an occasional feedback point to users is certainly justifiable. It's a matter of trust -- it has to be earned and worked at to be kept. . . .

I just upgraded one of my clients to new Windows 10 and have run into a number of problems and I hope someone on the community could help.  She is currently on the latest version of v16 with all hotfixes for reference.

1.  Is anyone here experiencing an issue when you use Font Zoom to 150%?  She has a 13" laptop that is 1920x1080 and with font sizes set at 100% everything is too small to read.  If we bump fonts up to 150% everything else looks great (word, excel, etc) but ACT resizes everything very strangely and is more or less unusable.

2.  I am thinking an upgrade to v17 may help or solve the problem but I don't know if her existing serial # will work.  If I run the install.upgrade will it require a new serial #?

3.  Any thoughts on how to get around this zoom problem,.  As it stands now I have her using an external monitor monitor that is large enough that 1920x1080 and 100% fonts is workable.  Its not ideal though because if/when she needs to travel she will not be able to use ACT with ease.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Hi sdbarnes,

To answer point #2, Act! serial numbers are version specific. A serial number that activates v16 will not activate v17 and vise versa. To get your v17 serial number, please speak to someone on our sales team by calling 866 873 2006.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I noticed that yesterday a hotfix was put up for ACT 17 to fix the attachment crashing issue on Win 10.  My client is on ACT 16, and I've seen mixed information about whether or not a fix for ACT 16 will be released for this issue.  

The workaround posted in the KB doesn't work, ACT still crashes.  Even the article isn't concrete in suggesting that it's a "for sure" fix, instead stating "this may work for you"

Will there be an update released for 16?  I hope so, as they purchased ACT 16 only a year and a few months ago.... doesn't seem right to force them to upgrade so soon.

It worked for me!  I followed the instructions at

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQyOTQ1OTkzL3NpZC9ZcG...

and now the crashing issue is resolved.  I had to internet search for the the link because it is now posted at the act! download center:

http://www.act.com/support/download-center/ for some reason.  Anyway, I am glad that this problem is finally resolved.

OK, it worked for me, too.  I can now open attached Word and PDF files.  Thank you ACT! 

However, when I close ACT, I get an error message which reads...

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

May all our problems be little ones ....

It is not of significance on closing Act! other than an annoyance. 

Refer this article, I'd expect that it will be updated as the problem is resolved http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24350

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

May I ask exactly what version of ACT you are running?  We never applied the service packs (we are going to in the next week), so we are on 16.0 HF 2 I believe.  

I'm thinking perhaps I need to get to the latest service pack and then try the workaround?

version 17 sp2
Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 compatibility and phone dialog box

@mjperry51  Thanks for letting me know that.  If you are still on MBR and Legacy and it's causing the problem, then I stand corrected and it isn't the BIOS.  When I moved my Win7 Pro from MBR to UEFI, that's when all of the trouble started and so it very much appeared that the BIOS was culprit.

But now that you've disproved that, just like scientists, the research continues on then.

Thanks for keeping me updated on your results.  It all helps.  When all put together, it gets us all steps closer to the problem.

My configdence level is high that day will come.

Thanks again for the input, and in the meantime, I'm still doing my part of the research and will keep new findings posted here.

Take care.

fox (or pete-whatever anyone prefers)