Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 compatibility

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Good suggetion. That was my first thought, but even though it is set for automatic, it does not start. As I indicated, I have to run Services, and hit the "Start" SQL(Act). Must be something else.

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Same here too. Won't start automatically when W10 restarted.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Hi all,

This one is a little difficult for us to offer a direct solution on. The start up of services is governed by Windows and frustratingly it sometimes doesn't pay attention to the settings you have in services.msc.

I would start by saying that although we don't test every last feature of Microsoft SQL, as it's not our software, we do of course test everything that relates to Act! and we're not aware of any known issues with something as basic as the startup of the service.

The first thing to check has already been mentioned which is to go into services.msc and check that the startup type of SQL Server (ACT7) is set to automatic. You may also want to check the recovery tab and set up to 3 retry attempts.

If this isn't helping then it's often caused by you having lots of items all starting up at once and your system can't handle it. You can use msconfig to disable any unnecessary startup items so that only essential programs and services are launched along with Windows and anything else can be started manually later.

Is anyone getting any errors logged in Windows event viewer?

Lastly (this one is pretty off the record with no support, so use at your own risk) I have attached a BAT file that starts the SQL service on a 10 second delay after Windows starts. Stick it in your All Programs > Startup folder and the rest is automatic.

Note: Due to limitations of the forum I can't attach a BAT, so it's a TXT. Change the file extension to BAT manually.

Other than this it's a full removal and reinstall of SQL.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Sam,

I've found that it's now ok after I started Act! as administrator and then switched my PC completely off and then it's ok every time.

HTH

David Shaw
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for the information. Out of interest, does Act! give you a message saying that it's trying to start SQL every time you turn it on?

I'm asking because running Act! as administrator would make no difference to the startup of the SQL service, but it would allow Act! to start it successfully if it detects it's not running. A good workaround, but I should let you know it's not a fix and may still be prone to failure.

Kindest regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

No such message as far as I'm aware but I'll double check.

David Shaw
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

I suspect the SQL service not starting up everytime might be due to the secpol not being created correctly after initial install for whatever reason. As Sam has said, it's best to follow through the error stack trace to work out what is original cause of the error. It might be due to one of the dependent services failing to start before the call to the SQL service and that might be down to the SecPol on the machine.

Those two are the most common reasons for the SQL services not statring up on reboot.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks David, that's great. I'll make sure to pass on your fix as it seems like the most straightforward one.

Vivek, interesting idea. I'll see if I can investigate this further. Thanks!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something a little curious about the Win 10 upgrade install that might shed some light on the situation some people find themselves in..

I've had a copy of Win 10 running ACT (17.1.169.0 HF 3) successfully on an i7 laptop with 16 GB RAM and SSD drives since 05-01-2015 (upgrades to the latest Win 10 pre release as they became available then the upgrade to the production version and for ACT upgrades to the latest HF as released). The only problem I've experienced is abnormal closure of ACT on exit (see above in this thread "Object not set to an instance of an object").

Over the weekend I tried applying the Win 10 Pro upgrade to another machine (Sun Ultra 40 M2 twin processor, 32GB RAM, LSI RAID array, Win 7 Ultimate latest fixes applied - Win 7 Ultimate SP1).

The upgrade failled apparantly because Win 10 could not detect the 2 screen nVidia GTX 960 graphics card and dropped into basic single screen low res mode. However on restarting Win 10 was unable to additionally detect the USB keyboard until I attached it to a different USB port. I finally got Win 10 to identify the 960 GTX after runing Win update several times but it continued to have issues with the USB sub-system.

Next problem was that Win 10 boot became erratic on restart, sometimes hanging after the Starting Windws message, sometimes dropping into the Win 10 diagnostic screed to report failure to start correctly and sometimes starting correctly. No obvious reason for this.

Win 10 was unable to diagnose and fix the problem automatically and only appeard fixed after I chose a clean reinstall - which killed off all the software on the machine!

Using Reflect I rolled back to the Win 7 configuration.

As far as I can make out the problem seemed to be that the Win 10 upgrade did not correctly identify the hardware platform it was being installed on.

Question - Could some of the ACT problems being reported be originating from a bad Win 10 update process leaving the machine somewhat ragged?

I'll try the upgrade process again today, to provided I have time, to see what happens but my initial feelong is that there may be something strange with the Win 7 > Win 10 upgrade process.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BestFrenchMortgage wrote:

Question - Could some of the ACT problems being reported be originating from a bad Win 10 update process leaving the machine somewhat ragged?

Hi,

To be honest with you I don't think there's a way to legitimately answer that question. It certainly seems like a possibility given what you've described, but I can't think of a way to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

It is my understanding that we tested on both upgrade installs and clean installs of Windows 10 and are not aware of any major issues, but our machines would not be a good comparison for yours as they are pretty "clean" machines if you know what I mean.

I'll go and have a chat with our developers and see if we can think of anything that might be causing these issues.

Can I ask that anyone with Windows 10 upgrade problems provide as much information about their system as possible, especially what build of Windows we're going from and to and whether it's an upgrade or a fresh install. Please be sure to provide the exact build of Act! that you're using from Help > About Act!.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards,

Sam.